|Other names||Abigail Mead|
Vivian Vanessa Kubrick (born August 5, 1960), also credited under the pseudonym Abigail Mead, is an American-born filmmaker and composer, known for her work with her father, filmmaker Stanley Kubrick.
Kubrick was born on August 5, 1960 in Los Angeles, to filmmaker Stanley Kubrick and actress Christiane (née Harlan). She had an elder sister, Anya (April 6, 1959–July 7, 2009), from whom she was said to be "inseparable" in childhood. She also has an elder half-sister, Katharina, from her mother's first marriage.
Kubrick made cameo appearances in four of her father's films: as a small child nicknamed "Squirt" in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), as a guest at Bryan's birthday party in Barry Lyndon (1975), as a guest on a ballroom couch in The Shining (1980), and as a news camera operator in Full Metal Jacket (1987). In her late teens, Kubrick directed, filmed, and edited a half-hour documentary for the BBC, The Making of "The Shining", which is included on all DVDs and many videotapes of the film.
She composed the score to his next film, Full Metal Jacket, using the pseudonym Abigail Mead. She also shot 18 hours of footage for a documentary on the making of the film, but it remained unfinished.
Her father asked her to compose the score for Eyes Wide Shut, but she left for California without completing it. Although Stanley Kubrick wrote her a 40-page letter in an attempt to persuade her to return, she chose not to do so. The film instead used music by Jocelyn Pook.
In October 2008, Kubrick appeared at a 40th anniversary screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey sponsored by the Jules Verne Society, where she appeared onstage with actor Keir Dullea, star of the film, Daniel Richter who played the chief ape in the film, and Malcolm McDowell who starred in her father's subsequent film, A Clockwork Orange (1971). She accepted the Society's Legendaire Award on behalf of her father.
In August 2010, her family announced that since 1999 she had been involved in the Church of Scientology and has been estranged from her family since then. Her family was concerned that she did not attend the funeral of her sister, Anya Kubrick, in 2009, nor meet with her earlier while she was dying of cancer.
In 2014 she posted a series of photographs of herself and her father to Twitter.
Like her father, Kubrick is an animal lover, and has rescued several stray dogs.
|1987||Full Metal Jacket||Credited as Abigail Mead|
|1999||The Mao Game|
|1999||Eyes Wide Shut||Score unused in final film|
|1968||2001: A Space Odyssey||Squirt", Heywood Floyd's daughter||Uncredited|
|1975||Barry Lyndon||Birthday party guest||Uncredited|
|1980||The Shining||Ballroom party guest||Uncredited|
|1987||Full Metal Jacket||Camera operator||Uncredited|
- LaPorte, Nicole (26 August 2010). "Stanley Kubrick's Scientologist Daughter, Vivian". The Daily Beast.
- "Full Metal Jacket Crew Notes". Gustavhasford.com. Archived from the original on 1 December 2008. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- Ronson, Jon (18 August 2010). "After Stanley Kubrick". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- BURLINGAME, JON (26 July 1999). "Her Avant-Garde Tunes Are Getting 'Wide' Notice". Los Angeles Times.
- "2001: A Space Odyssey @ The Edison Downtown – Los Angeles News – The Informer". blogs.laweekly.com. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Stanley Kubrick's Scientologist Daughter, Vivian – The Daily Beast". Thedailybeast.com. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Stanley Kubrick's daughter's photographs of life with her famous father". 11 March 2014.
- "Professional Dog Training in Houston TX". Getalonglittledoggie.net. Archived from the original on 15 February 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- Kaplan, Mike (15 May 2012). "Communing With Kubrick". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 11 December 2018.