Vivian Smith, 1st Baron Bicester
The Lord Bicester
|Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire|
|Preceded by||The Duke of Marlborough|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Macclesfield|
Vivian Hugh Smith
9 December 1867
|Died||17 February 1956(aged 88)|
Lady Sybil Mary McDonnell
|Children||Randal Hugh Vivian Smith, 2nd Baron Bicester|
Victoria Alexandrina Vivian Smith
Mary Constance Vivian Smith
Stephen Edward Vivian Smith
Joyce Sybil Vivian Smith
Honor Mildred Vivian Smith
Hugh Adeane Vivian Smith
|Parents||Hugh Colin Smith|
Constance Maria Josepha (Adeane) Smith
|Relatives||John Abel Smith (grandfather)|
Henry John Adeane (grandfather)
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
Vivian Hugh Smith was born on 9 December 1867. He was the elder son of Hugh Colin Smith (son of John Abel Smith and Governor of the Bank of England from 1897 to 1899) and Constance Maria Josepha (née Adeane). He was educated at Eton College and Trinity College, Cambridge. His brother Aubrey followed the different path of joining the Royal Navy at the age of eleven and later rose to be an admiral.
Smith served as the Chairman of Yule Catto & Company Ltd (present-day Synthomer), Governor of the Royal Exchange Assurance Corporation from 1914 to 1956, and a Director of Morgan Grenfell & Co. Between 1934 and 1956, he also held the honorary position of Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire. On 29 June 1938, Smith was raised to the peerage as Baron Bicester, of Tusmore in the County of Oxford.
In 1897, Smith was married to Lady Sybil Mary McDonnell, daughter of William McDonnell, 6th Earl of Antrim and the former Louisa Jane Grey (a granddaughter of Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey). Together, they were the parents of seven children:
- Randal Hugh Vivian Smith, 2nd Baron Bicester (1898–1968), who married Hon. Dorothea Gwenllian James, eldest daughter of Walter James, 3rd Baron Northbourne.
- Victoria Alexandrina Vivian Smith (1899–1969), who died unmarried.
- Mary Constance Vivian Smith (1901–1981), who married Francis Rodd, 2nd Baron Rennell.
- Lt.-Col. Hon. Stephen Edward Vivian Smith (1903–1952), who married Eleanor Anderson Hewitt, a daughter of Edward Shepard Hewitt of New York City, in 1929. They divorced in 1947 and he married Mabel Lovering, eldest daughter of Albert William Rogers Lovering, in 1948.
- Hon. Joyce Sybil Vivian Smith (b. 1905), who married Maj.-Gen. Gerald Lloyd-Verney, eldest son of Sir Harry Lloyd-Verney.
- Hon. Honor Mildred Vivian Smith (1908–1995), a neurologist.
- Maj. Hon. Hugh Adeane Vivian Smith (1910–1978), who married Lady Helen Dorothy Primrose, the daughter of Albert Primrose, 6th Earl of Rosebery.
|Ancestors of Vivian Smith, 1st Baron Bicester|
- "Smith, Vivian Hugh (SMT887VH)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "No. 34528". The London Gazette. 5 July 1938. p. 4327.
- "Bicester, Baron (UK, 1938)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "ELENOR A. HEWITT ENGAGED TO MARRY; Betrothal to Stephen V. Smith, Son of Vivian and Lady Sybil Smith, Announced. BRIDE-TO-BE NOW IN LONDON Was Introduced to Society Two Winters Ago--A Graduate of the Brearley School. Sickles--Lehman". The New York Times. 27 February 1929. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- "ELENOR HEWITT WED TO STEPHEN SMITH; Revs. Dr. Reiland and Geer Officiate at International Marriage in St. George's Church.ELABORATE FLORAL DISPLAY Vested Choir Sings--Lord Charles Cavendish of London an Usher--Reception at Hewitt Home". The New York Times. 16 May 1929. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Bicester
The Duke of Marlborough
| Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire
The Earl of Macclesfield
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baron Bicester
Randal Hugh Vivian Smith