|The Very Reverend
|Dean of York|
|Diocese||Diocese of York|
|Other posts||Dean of Leicester (2002–2012)
Provost of Leicester (2000–2002)
|Born||20 May 1955|
|Alma mater||St Hilda's College, Oxford|
Vivienne Frances Faull (born 20 May 1955) is a British Anglican priest. Since 2012, she has served as Dean of York. She was the only female cathedral provost in Church of England history. She was thought by many to be a leading candidate for the first woman appointed a bishop in the Church of England.
Faull was educated at The Queen's School, Chester She studied at St Hilda's College, Oxford and graduated in 1977 with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree; it was promoted to a Master of Arts (MA Oxon) in 1982. When she began studying theology at St John's College, Nottingham, she became the first woman to be paid by the Church of England to do so.
Faull was licensed as a deaconess in the Church of England in 1982, and ordained as a deacon in 1987 and as a priest in 1994. She served first at St Matthew and St James, Mossley Hill, and then as Chaplain at Clare College, Cambridge. From 1990 to 2000, she was on the staff at Gloucester Cathedral before moving to Leicester.
On 13 May 2000, she was installed as Provost of Leicester Cathedral – the first (and, due to the Cathedrals Measure 1999 redesignating all cathedral provosts as deans, only) female cathedral provost in Church of England history. In 2002, when her job title (but not the essential nature of the role) changed, she became the Dean of Leicester – and thus, with that change of title, the first female dean in the Church of England.
In 2015 Faull was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Chester, granting her the title of Doctor of Letters.
- Who's Who 2012 – FAULL, Vivienne Frances
- "Vivienne Faull: a pioneer tipped to be the first female bishop", The Guardian, 16 Feb 2014. Accessed 6 November 2014
- "Vivienne Frances Faull". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 30 November 2015. (subscription required)
- "'I'm not sure I see myself in a mitre'", The Telegraph, 28 August 2001. Accessed 20 May 2014
- Debrett's People of Today London,2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- Leicester City Council – Cllr Phil Swift
- bnet UK
- BBC News – Faull appointed Dean of York
- York Minster – Installation of the new Dean of York
|Church of England titles|
|Provost of Leicester
|Dean of Leicester
|Dean of York