Medialaan was founded in 1987 as Vlaamse Televisie Maatschappij by nine Flemish newspaper and magazine publishers, each with an 11.1% share, Perexma, Roularta, TVV, IUM, Almaspar, De Vlijt, Hoste, Concentra, and Drukkerij Het Volk. Several TV and radio sister stations, generally targeting a more specific segment of the Flemish audience (such as youth), have been added. Since 1998, De Persgroep and the Roularta Media Group each have a 50% share of the company. On 31 May 1999 the name was changed to Vlaamse Media Maatschappij (VMMa) (English: Flemish Media Company), and in February 2014 the name was again changed to Medialaan (meaning 'media avenue'), reflecting the street in Vilvoorde on which it is located.
It's the main competitor of the Flemish public broadcaster VRT; their rivalry even has a nickname 'Mediaoorlog', and it supposed suspension Pax media. Woestijnvis, which incorporated the former Flemish SBS-stations, is a more distant third, other stations are minor.
- VTM - The oldest and most popular TV station of the Medialaan. Used for mainstream series and programs.
- Q2 (formerly known as 2BE, Kanaaltwee, Kanaal 2 and Ka 2) - The station is used mainly for trying out own work and imported series and movies.
- Vitaya - Lifestyle TV station.
- CAZ (formerly known as acht) - TV station targeting men with mainly movies, stand-up comedy and American series.
- VTMKZOOM - TV station for the kids.
- Kadet - TV station for boys.
- JIM (2001-2015) - Youngster and music TV station
- VTMzomer (2006) - Summer themed channel
- VTMkerst (2006-2007) - Christmas themed channel
- Vitaliteit (2007-2012) - Health & healthy food themed channel
- anne - (2009-2016) - Flemish music only channel
- Lacht (2013-2016) - Comedy channel
Qgroup is the holding for the radiostations of Medialaan. The group is active in Belgium & The Netherlands.
Currently owned radio stations
Former radio stations
Medialaan owns 2 MVNO's
Medialaan has 2 on demand services:
- Farewell VMMa at HLN.be. Retrieved 06/02/2014.
|This Belgian television-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|