|Vlad, Jack Spade|
|Birth name||Volodymyr DeBriansky (Володимир Дебрянський)|
|Also known as||Vlad, Jack Spade|
January 3, 1972 |
Kalush, Ukrainian SSR
|Genres||jazz, blues, rock , classical|
|Occupation(s)||guitarist, producer, composer|
|Instruments||guitar , drums, piano|
|Labels||Orpheus Music, EMI, Warner|
|Guitar , drums , keyboards|
Vlad DeBriansky (Ukrainian: Влад Дебрянський, born Volodymyr DeBriansky; 3 January 1972, Kalush, Ukraine), known mononymously as Vlad, is an American musician of Ukrainian origin. He is known as a jazz, blues, rock and classical guitarist; composer and songwriter; music producer, television producer as well as an actor.
Vlad was born in western Ukraine in 1972 and studied jazz and classical music as a youth. He was a member of popular Ukrainian bands Forte, Tea Fan Club (Club of Amateurs of Tea, Клуб Шанувальників Чаю) and Loony Pelen (Луні Пелен), with whom he had several hit records in the Ukrainian and Polish charts. He studied at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts in 1996 where he took guitar lessons from Jon Finn and Norman Zocher. Later moved to New York City where he met and studied with Mike Stern and John Abercrombie. During his New York period Vlad gets offers from Blue Note Records, GRP Records and eventually signing with Orpheus Music. Collaboration with Orpheus lasted for 10 years. During this period Vlad makes California his home and in 2004 he releases his debut album 'Vladosphere" on Orpheus Music label. The album became a commercial and critical success with its single "Little Star" climbing to #4 place on Adult Contemporary radio chart bypassing Phil Collins and John Mayer. The following second US album Sun In Capricorn released in 2008 aired mostly on classical music radio stations around the US and received a praise from critics earning a Grammy nomination.
Vlad also worked in a role of a producer and a songwriter with such notable artists as: Donna Summer, Lauryn Hill, Katy Perry, Tony Levin and Pat Mastelloto (King Crimson), Orianthi, Holly Knight, Skyler Jett, Billy Sheehan, Joey DeFrancesco, Rahni Song, Nile Rodgers, Arno Lucas, Ray Brown Jr. and many others.
In 2014 Vlad formed a band "Jacks Last Dollar" and its new album "Part I" debuted as #14 on iTunes blues charts in the US.
In August 2016 Vlad releases a digital download-only album simply called "Blues". "Blues" reaches the top 10 downloads on iTunes Blues charts in Japan, United States and in Russia.
Film and TV
In 2013 he co-produced a popular TV music talent show "Boyuk Sehne" (Böyük Səhnə) aired in Baku, Azerbaijan, where Vlad as Jack Spade was also one of the judges.
Vlad is a spokesperson for the electric automobile company ZAP Automobiles.
Social and Political involvement
Along with Ruslana Lyzhychko, Vlad was one of the activists in the Ukrainian independence revolution in November 2013. He is the leader of a social-political movement Patriots (not to be confused with the Patriot Of Ukraine).
As an ambassador of Berklee College of Music, Vlad had founded American Music Academy in Kyiv, Ukraine. The school offers contemporary music education and music production. Among professors and advisors of the academy are known musicians and music producers such as Tom Rothrock, Reginald Love, Adam Joseph, Frank Parker, Rahni Song, Gerry Brown and others.
Vlad holds a position in Artistic Board at Youth Philharmonic Orchestra (YPHIL) in New York City at Carnegie Hall.
- Vlad (2016), Blues, Unis Records Artist/Composer/Producer
- Boom (2015), Kleesch, Unis Records
- Jacks Last Dollar (2014), II, Unis Records
- Jacks Last Dollar (2014), Part I, Unis Records
- Jack Spade (2013), Love In Vegas, Unis Records
- Ruslana (2013), My Boo (Together!), EMI Producer/Composer/Writer
- Vlad (2012), Tangled, Unis Records Artist/Composer/Producer
- Ruslana (2011), Wow, ShaLaLa, EMI Producer/Composer/Writer
- Jack Spade (2010), Silver Moon, Unis Records
- TFC (2010), Give Me A Scream, Tears Of Gods, EMI Producer/Composer/Writer
- Antonia Bennett (2010), Things We Do For Love, Knightlife Music Composer
- Vlad (2008), Sun In Capricorn, Orpheus Music Artist/Composer/Producer
- Vlad (2004), Vladosphere, Orpheus Music Artist/Composer/Producer
- Freddie Jackson (2000), Life After 30, Orpheus Music Producer/Composer
- Miki Howard (1997), Can't Count Me Out, Atlantic / Abili / Hush Entertainment Producer/Composer
- Ruslana (1996), In an Instant of Spring. Sonorous Wind, EMI
- Anzhelika Korshinska and Grav' Biser (1993-11-17), Anzhelika Korshinska, Studio Leva, retrieved 2008-03-25
- Tea Fan Club (Club of Amateurs of Tea or Клуб Шанувальників Чаю) (1993), Mystery Mirror, TFC
- "Henry Makow / Ukraine People Reject both their Government & Russia". Henri Makow. 2014-03-08. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Malibu Music Corner / Local guitarist Vlad brings Blues to the 'Bu". Malibu Times. 2010-07-07. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- "Vlad's 'Little Star' Zooms Up Chart". Jazz Review. 2011-01-29. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Secret Garden Snippet - Vlad Hits The Charts". Smooth Jazz Vibes. 2004-11-01. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- "Café Jazz newsletter ed. #341". Cafe Jazz Radio (Canada). 2004-12-05. Retrieved 2008-03-24.
- "Jazz Spotlight featuring Vlad". Jazz Review.com. Retrieved 2008-03-24.
- "New artists for December–January 2002". Guitar Nine Records magazine. Retrieved 2008-03-25.