||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Vladimer Papava (Georgian: ვლადიმერ პაპავა) (born March 25, 1955) is a Professor of Economics of the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Academician of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences (2013), and a former Rector of the Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University (August 16, 2013 - April 20, 2016).
Born in Tbilisi, Georgia, Papava graduated Tbilisi State University (specialization Economic Cybernetics) in 1978. He received his Candidate of Science degree in Economics (PhD) from Central Economic Mathematical Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Moscow, in 1982, and his Doctor of Science degree in Economics from Tbilisi State University in 1989 and Leningrad State University in 1990.
In 2005-2006 he was a Visiting Scholar at the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute (), the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University. He is the author of more than 200 publications, including many works on the theoretical and applied studies post-Communist economies and economic development of the Central Caucasus countries. His research efforts are underpinned by practical experience gained during his work for the Georgian Government: from 1994 to 2000, as Minister of Economy he was actively involved in currency reform, liberalization of economy, including liberalization of foreign trade, institutional transformations and other ambitious governmental programs. As a member of the Georgian Government and an Alternative Governor of the World Bank, he was one of the main participants in the negotiations with the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. From 2004 to 2008 he was a Member of the Parliament of Georgia (Committee for Finance and Budget).
Papava is an author of the Semi-Productive Matrix Approach for Input-Output Models, the Theory of the Economic Ability of the Government and Egalitarian Goods, the Model of an ‘Economy Without Taxes,’ the Theory of Laffer-Keynesian Synthesis, the Theory of the ‘Shadow Political Economy’ (with Nodar Khaduri), the Indexes of Tax Corruption, the Method of the ‘Social Promotion’ for Post-Communist Transition to Market Economy, the Doctrine of Market Equality and Its Application to the Process of Post-Communist Transformation, and the Theory of ‘Necroeconomics – the Political Economy of Post-Communist Capitalism’().
He is a Member of the Editorial Boards of the Problems of Economic Transition (USA)(), the Central Asia and The Caucasus (Sweden)(), The Caucasus & Globalization (Sweden)(), the Caucasian Review of International Affairs (Germany)() and the Obshchestvo i ekonomika (Russia)(). In 1992-2005 he was a Chief-Editor of the Proceedings of the Georgian Academy of Sciences – Economic Series.
From 1997 Vladimer Papava is a Corresponding Member and from 2013 Academician of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences. He is an Active Member of The International Academy of Sciences, Education, Industry and Arts (CA, USA), an Active Member of The New York Academy of Sciences (NY, USA), an Active Member of the International Informatization Academy (UN) and other international societies and associations. In 2008-2010 he was a Deputy Chairman of the Scientific Committee for Economics and Law of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences; from 2010 he is a Chairman of the Scientific Committee for Economics of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences; from 2007 he is a Member of the CASE (Center for Social and Economic Research) Advisory Council (Warsaw, Poland) and a Member of the International Scientific Council of the International Institute for Social Development (Moscow, Russia). He is also a member of the Tbilisi-based think-tank Georgian Foundation for Strategic and International Studies.
In 2004 Vladimer Papava together with a group of Georgian Economists was awarded the State Prize of Georgia in Science for the Series of Publications – “The Methods and Models of Macroeconomic Regulations.”
In 2008 Vladimer Papava was awarded the Philippe Gogichaishvili Prize of the National Academy of Sciences of Georgia for the book – Necroeconomics: The Political Economy of Post-Communist Capitalism. New York, iUniverse, 2005().
- Papava, Vladimer (2016). Georgia's Choice: The European Union or the Eurasian Economic Union. Tbilisi, GFSIS, Expert Opinion, No. 57, ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2015). Economic models of Eurasianism and the Eurasian Union: why the future is not optimistic. The Central Asia-Caucasus Analyst, October 29, ().
- Papava, Vladimer, & Taphladze, Tamar (2015). Pseudo-Libertarianism in Post-Revolutionary Georgia. Bulletin of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 2. pp. 150–153 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2015). Necroeconomics of Post-Soviet Post-Industrialism and the Model of Economic Development of Georgia and Russia. Journal of Business and Economics, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 976–983 ().
- Papava, Vladimer, & Charaia, Vakhtang (2014). Regional Railways in the Central Caucasus and Georgia’s Economic Interests. The Caucasus & Globalization, Vol. 8, Iss. 1-2, pp. 58–67 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2014). OLD OR NEW COLD WAR? IS THE NEW COLD WAR A CONTINUATION OF THE OLD? CICERO FOUNDATION GREAT DEBATE PAPER No. 14/07 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2014). Georgia’s Economy The Search for a Development Model. Problems of Economic Transition, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 83–94().
- Papava, Vladimer (2014). The Catch-Up Effect and Regional Comparisons of Growth Indicators (With the Eastern Partnership Countries as an Example). Problems of Economic Transition, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 3–52().
- Ananiashvili Iuri, Papava Vladimer, (2014). Laffer-Keynesian Synthesis and Macroeconomic Equilibrium. New York: Nova Science Publishers. ISBN 978-1-62417-449-0.
- Papava, Vladimer (2013). The Eurasianism of Russian Anti-Westernism and the Concept of “Central Caucaso-Asia”. Russian Politics & Law, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 45–86 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2013). The Main Challenges of 'Post-Rosy' Georgia's Medium Term Economic Development. GFSIS Center for Applied Economic Studies Research Paper—01.2013 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2013). Economic Reforms in Post-Communist Georgia: Twenty Years After. New York: Nova Science Publishers. ISBN 978-1624174490.
- Papava, Vladimer (2012). Economic Growth in the Central Caucaso-Asian Countries Adjusted for the Catch-Up Effect. Central Asia and The Caucasus, Vo. 13, No. 4, pp. 120–128 ().
- Ananiashvili Iuri and Papava, Vladimer (2012). Impact of the Average Tax Rate on the Aggregate Demand (Keynesian Models). Bulletin of the Georgian National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 162–169 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2012). Economic Component of the Russian-Georgian Conflict. The Caucasus & Globalization, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 61–71 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2011). On the First-Generation Post-Communist Reforms of Georgia’s Economy (A Retrospective Analysis). The Caucasus & Globalization, Vol. 5, Issue 3-4, pp. 20–30 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2011). Arménie, Azerbaïdjan, Géorgie: vingt ans de transition économique. Les Cahiers de L'Orient, N° 101, pp. 35–43 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2011). Economic Transformation and the Impacts of the Global Financial Crisis in the Southern Caucasus. In Mustafa Aydin, ed., Non-Traditional Security Threats and Regional Cooperation in the Southern Caucasus. Amsterdam: IOS Press, pp. 17–29 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2010). The Problem of Zombification of the Postcommunist Necroeconomy. Problems of Economic Transition, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 35–51 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2010). The Economic Challenges of the Black Sea Region: the Global Financial Crisis and Energy Sector Cooperation. Southeast European and Black Sea Studies, Vo. 10, No. 3, pp. 361–371 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2010). Economy of the Post-Communist Capitalism under the Financial Crisis. Studies in Economics and Finance, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 135–147 ().
- Ismailov, Eldar; Vladimer Papava (2010). Rethinking Central Eurasia. Washington, D.C.: Johns Hopkins University-SAIS. ISBN 978-91-85937-77-6.
- Papava, Vladimer (2010). The Economic Development Complex in the Black Sea Area: The Impact of the Global Financial and Economic Crisis. Xenophon Paper, No. 9, May (PDF). Athens: The International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS). ISBN 978-960-6885-16-7. ISSN 1790-8396.
- Papava, Vladimer (2010). Post-Communist Capitalism and Financial Crisis, or the Mixing of the Necroeconomics and the Zombie-Nomics. Georgian International Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 2, Issue 1, pp. 37–55 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2009). Is Zombie Economicus Coming? The Market Oracle, February 7().
- Papava, Vladimer (2009). The End of the Frozen Cold War? Caucasian Review of International Affairs, Vol. 3 (1) – Winter, pp. 98–102. ().
- Ismailov, Eldar; Vladimer Papava (2008). The Central Caucasus: Problemss on Geopolitical Economy. New York: Nova Science Publishers. ISBN 978-1-60456-606-2.
- Ismailov, Eldar; Vladimer Papava (2006). Tsentralnyi Kavkaz. Istoriia, politika, ekonomika. Moscow: Mysl'. ISBN 978-5-244-01086-2.
- Papava, Vladimer (2005). Necroeconomics: The Political Economy of Post-Communist Capitalism. New York: iUniverse. ISBN 978-0-595-34915-9.
- Papava, Vladimer; Teimuraz Beridze (2005). Ocherki politicheskoi ekonomii post-kommunisticheskogo kapitalizma (Essays on the Political Economy of Post-Communist Capitalism). Moscow: Delo i Service. ISBN 5-8018-0256-8.
- Papava, Vladimer (2005). On the Theory of Post-Communist Economic Transition to Market. International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 32, No. 1/2, pp. 77–97 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2004). Central’nyi Kavkaz i ekonomika Gruzii (The Central Caucasus and the Economy of Georgia). Baku, “Nurlan,” with Teimuraz Beridze and Eldar Ismailov. (In Russian). 
- Papava, Vladimer; Vepkhia Chocheli (2003). Financial Globalization and Post-Communist Georgia. New York: iUniverse. ISBN 0-595-30043-X.
- Papava, Vladimer (2003). Splendours and Miseries of the IMF in Post-Communist Georgia. Laredo, we-publish.com.
- Papava, Vladimer (2002). Necroeconomics - the Theory of Post-Communist Transformation of an Economy. International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 29, No. 9-10, pp. 796–805 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (2001). Necroeconomics and Post-Communist transformation of Economy (PDF). Tbilisi: Imperial.
- Papava, Vladimer (2000). State, Public Sector and Theoretical Prerequisites to a Model of an “Economy without Taxes”. International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 27, No. 1-2, pp. 45–61 ().
- Papava, Vladimer, and Nodar Khaduri (1997). On the Shadow Political Economy of the Post-Communist Transformation: An Institutional Analysis. Problems of Economic Transition, Vol. 40, No. 6, pp. 15–34 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (1996). The Georgian Economy: From “Shock Therapy” to “Social Promotion” (Theory of Laffer-Keynesian Synthesis). Communist Economies & Economic Transformation, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 251–267 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (1995). Marxist Points of View on the Soviet Communist Economic System and the Manifestation of Egalitarianism in Post-Communist Economic Reform. International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 22, No.6, pp. 29–37 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (1993). A New View of the Economic Ability of the Government, Egalitarian Goods and GNP. International Journal of Social Economics, Vol. 20, No.8, pp. 56–62 ().
- Papava, Vladimer (1988). Effertivnost obshchestvennogo proizvodstva i mezhotraslevye vodeli (Efficiency of Social Production in the Input-Output Models). Tbilisi, “Metsniereba,” 1988. (In Russian).
- Shevardnadze, Kakhaber; Robizon Chechelashvili; Vepkhia Chocheli; Nodar Khaduri (2000). Papava Indexes of Tax Corruption (PDF). Tbilisi: Imperial.
- Jan Künzl. Book Review (2009). The Central Caucasus: Problems of Geopolitical Economy. Caucasian Review of International Affairs, Vol. 3 (1) – Winter ().
- Michael D. Kennedy, and Elizabeth Eagen (2007). Post-Communist Capitalism and Transition Culture in Georgia. The Caucasus & Globalization, Vol. 1 (2) ().
- Stephen Jones (2006). “Papava, Vladimer. Necroeconomics: The Political Economy of Post-Communist Capitalism: Lessons from Georgia.” (). Russian Review, Volume 65, Issue 3 ()
- Anders Åslund (2006). Georgia on My Mind. Economic realism in a new book on post-Soviet economic transformation. (). The International Economy Magazine, Winter ()
- A. Szegö (1992). "V.G.Papava. Effektivnost' Obshchestvennovo Proizvodstva i Mezhotraslevije Modeli." (). Economic Systems Research. Journal of the International Input-Output Association, Vol. 4, No. 4()