|Full name||Vladimir Mikhaylovich Barnashov|
26 February 1951 |
Ryazany, Muromtsevsky, Omsk Oblast, RSFSR, Soviet Union
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Medals||1 (1 gold)|
|Teams||4 (1978, 1979, 1981, 1982)|
|Medals||3 (0 gold)|
Life and career
He trained at Dynamo sports society and was a member of the USSR National Biathlon Team from 1977. At the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid he won a gold medal with the Soviet relay team. He was also a bronze medalist in the USSR 4 × 7.5 km relay team at the 1979, 1981 and 1982 Biathlon World Championships. In the overall World Cup he came third overall in the 1978–79 season behind Klaus Siebert and Frank Ullrich.
Barnashov graduated from Omsk State Institute for Physical Culture in 1980 and is currently head coach of Russian biathlon team.
Honours and awards
Barnashov was awarded the Order of the Badge of Honour in 1980, and in 1988 he received the Medal "For Labour Valour". Between 1992 and 1998 Barnashov was the Head Coach of the Croatian National Cross-Country Skiing Team.
He was also awarded the Medal of the Order of Merit for the Fatherland, 2nd class (October 21, 2010), for the successful preparation of the athletes who achieved high sport achievements at the XXI Olympic Winter Games of 2010 in Vancouver, Canada.
Barnashov has also been given the honorary sports titles of Honored Master of Sports, Honored coach of the USSR and Honoured Coach of Russia.
1 medal (1 gold)
|1980 Lake Placid||7th||—||Gold|
3 medals (3 bronze)
- *During Olympic seasons competitions are only held for those events not included in the Olympic program.
2 victories (1 In, 1 Sp)
|2 April 1978||Sodankylä||10 km sprint||Biathlon World Cup|
|23 January 1979||Antholz-Anterselva||20 km individual||Biathlon World Cup|
- *Results are from UIPMB and IBU races which include the Biathlon World Cup, Biathlon World Championships and the Winter Olympic Games.
- "Vladimir Barnashov". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 27 July 2015.
- Profile at Omskportal
- Panorama of the 1984 Sports Year (in Russian). Moscow: Fizkultura i sport. 1985. p. 177.
- Profile at Infosport
- "Vladimir Barnashov". IBU Datacenter. International Biathlon Union. Retrieved 27 July 2015.