Vladimir Chagin at the start of Transorientale 2008
5 January 1970 |
Perm, Russian SFSR, USSR
Vladimir Gennadiyevich Chagin (Russian: Владимир Геннадьевич Чагин; IPA: [vlɐˈdʲimʲɪr gʲɪˈnadʲɪɪvɪtɕ ˈtɕægʲɪn]; born 5 January 1970) is a Russian rally raid driver. He has won the Dakar Rally driving Kamaz trucks in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2011, becoming the most successful single category pilot in the history of the tournament earning him the nickname "The Tsar of Dakar".
- The most Dakar rally wins in the truck category with 7 (1 more than Karel Loprais)
- The second most Dakar rally stage wins in all categories with 63, 5 behind Stéphane Peterhansel
- The record for most stage wins in a single Dakar rally season in the truck category with 9 out of 14 in 2010.
- Dakar Rally: 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2010 and 2011
- Desert Challenge: 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
- Baja Italia: 2000
- Optic 2000 Tunisia: 2000, 2001
- Master-Rally: 1995, 1996, 2000, 2002
- Rally Orientale - Kappadokia: 2003, 2004
- Baja Pearl: 2000
- Kalmykia: 2000
- The Quiet Don: 2003
- Khazar Steppes: 2004, 2006
In top 3
Honours and awards
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland 4th class
- Order of Courage
- Order of Honour
- Order of Friendship
- Order of the Badge of Honour (USSR)
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 1000th Anniversary of Kazan"
- Medal "For Valiant Labour" (Republic of Tatarstan)
Dakar Rally results
|2008||Event cancelled – replaced by Central Europe Rally|
- "CHAGIN WINS THE DAKAR OF ALL RECORDS FOR HIM!". dakar.com. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- (Russian) Vladimir Chagin's biography at the official site of the Kamaz-Master Team
- (Russian) Vladimir Chagin's blog
- (English) Kamaz Dakar site
Gerard de Rooy