This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
May 28, 1932|
Kolishley, Penza, Soviet Union
|Died||September 3, 2009
St. Petersburg, Russia
|Alma mater||State D.I.Mendeleyev University
of Chemical Technology of Russia (MUCTR), Moscow, Russia
|Fields||Optics, Chemistry, Physics
and adjacent fields, inventor
|Institutions||All-Russian Research Center
"S. I. Vavilov State Optical Institute",
St. Petersburg, Russia
Vladimir Nikolayevich Polukhin (Russian: Владимир Николаевич Полухин; born May 28, 1932, Kolyshley (Penzenskaya Area) – died September 3, 2009, St.Petersburg) was a Russian scientist and engineer in the field of optics.
Polukhin is known for his contribution to physical chemistry and technology of optical and special types of glass, fiber-optic elements, and micro channel structures. The research carried out under his leadership in the “S.I. Vavilov State Optical Institute” has found practical applications in a variety of industries including optics and electronics. 
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2017)|
After graduation in 1955 from Mendeleev Russian University of Chemistry and Technology, where he got the qualification of engineer with specialized training in the technology of silicates, he worked at an optical glass factory in Nikolsk.
In 1957, he started his post-graduate study at "Research and Technological Institute of Optical Materials All-Russia Scientific center" "S.I. Vavilov State Optical Institute" which in brought him PhD degree in technical Sciences. Having joined "S.I. Vavilov State Optical Institute" he worked there all his life occupying the position of junior, senior, leading and chief researcher and, then, the head of "The Laboratory of Optical Glass" (1966—1982), and the head of "The Department and The Laboratory of Fiber Optics" (1982—1989).
He was also the head of "VOSTEK: fiber optics, glass, capillaries" company LTD (Russian: ВОСтеК).
To the last days he was in charge of "The Laboratory of Special Optical Glass, the Technology of Hard Fiber-Optics Elements and Microchannel Plates" at "S.I. Vavilov State Optical Institute" with his contribution to the following developments and innovations being under his supervision:
- Optical glass with special dispersion for large space lenses;
- Optical glass with extreme optical constants;
- Special glass combinations for optoelectronic elements fabrication – flexible medical tourniquet and superior aperture fiber-optics plates;
- lass combinations for micro channel elements and bifocal glasses with an invisible boundary line;
- Glass for diodes fabrication and varistors covering;
- Development of fibre–optic and micro channel technology for optoelectronic converters and radiography micro channel structures and lenses.
Polukhin V. N published 105 scientific articles and received more than 100 certificates of recognition and patents; was awarded the title of "Honoured Inventor of the USSR".
- State Prize of the USSR
- "Honoured Inventor of USSR"
- Grebenschikov Medal
- Medal "Veteran of Labour"
- Medal "In Commemoration of the 300th Anniversary of Saint Petersburg"
- Repeat Winner of the Exhibition of Achievements of the National Economy (VDNKh, Moscow)
Polukhin V.N. published personally and in co-authorship more than 100 scientific works. The bibliographical list is in the stage of arrangement.
- Work on fiber optics at the S. I. Vavilov State Optical Institute 
- Lasing characteristics of a fiber laser based on neodymium-silicate and neodymium-phosphate glasses 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vladimir Polukhin.|