|Vladimir M. Shalaev|
February 18, 1957 |
|Citizenship||United States, Russia|
|Alma mater||Krasnoyarsk State University, Russia|
Vladimir Shalaev (born February 18, 1957) is an American physisist of Russian descent known for his work in the field of nanophotonics , plasmonics , and optical metamaterials. V. Shalaev is currently the Robert and Anne Burnett Distinguished Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Professor of Biomedical Engineering  and Professor of Physics  at Purdue University. Prof. Shalaev also serves as Scientific Director for Nanophotonics at Purdue University's Birck Nanotechnology Center.
Prof. Shalaev's research interests lie in the area of physics of light-matter interaction, including nanophotonics, plasmonics, non-linear and quantum optics, development of new optical metamaterials and their applications. He made significant contributions to
- optics of fractal and percolation composites  and their applications for Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy (SERS),
- the field of optical metamaterials, including first experimental observation (collectively with his research team at Purdue University) of negative refractive index in the optical frequency range  and magnetic response across the entire visible range,
- development of new material platforms for plasmonics aimed at enabling plasmonic applications requiring mechanical and thermal resiliency of constituent materials and their compatibility with modern semiconductor technologies.
Awards and honors
- The 2015 IEEE Photonics Society William Streifer Scientific Achievement Award “for seminal contributions both to the theoretical framework and to the ground‐breaking experimental realization of optical metamaterials”,
- 2015 Rolf Landauer International ETOPIM Association Medal. According to the ETOPIM website, "the medal is awarded to honour senior scientists with pioneering contributions in the study of inhomogeneous media",
- 2014 OSA and SPIE Joseph W. Goodman Book Writing Award for the book Optical Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications; authors: W. Cai and V. Shalaev,
- The 2012 UNESCO Medal for the Development of Nanosciences and Nanotechnologies,
- The 2010 Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics "for pioneering studies of optical metamaterials and plasmonic nanostructures",
- The 2010 Optical Society of America Max Born Award "for seminal contributions to both the theoretical framework and the experimental realization of optical metamaterials",
- Honorary Doctorate from University of Southern Denmark,
- The 2006 Top 50 Nano Technology Award for "Nanorod Material".
V. Shalaev is a Fellow of
- The American Physical Society (APS),
- The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE),
- The Optical Society of America (OSA),
- The Materials Research Society 
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Prof. V. Shalaev co-/authored three-  and co-/edited four  books in the area of his scientific expertise. According to Prof. Shalaev's website, over the course of his career he contributed 28 invited chapters to various scientific anthologies and published a number of invited review articles, over 400 publications in total, including 277 research papers in refereed journals. He is also a co-inventor in 20 patents, and he made over 300 invited presentations at International Conferences and leading research centers, including a number of plenary and keynote talks.
- 2012 UNESCO Medal for the Development of Nanosciences and Nanotechnologies
- The 2010 Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics
- The 2015 IEEE Photonics Society William Streifer Scientific Achievement Award
- People, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Purdue University
- People, Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University
- People, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Purdue University
- Professor Vlad Shalaev appointed Scientific Director for Nanophotonics at Birck Nanotechnology Center
- Prof. V. Shalaev's short CV
- List of Prof. V. Shalaev's website: Publications
- List of Prof. V. Shalaev's publications on Google Scholar
- R.J. Gehr, R.W. Boyd, Optical Properties of Nanostructured Optical Materials, Chemistry of Materials, 1996, v.8, pp.1807–1819 (1996).
- V.M. Shalaev, Nonlinear Optics of Random Media - Fractal Composites and Metal-Dielectric Films, Springer 2000.
- M. Moskovits, Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy - a brief retrospective, Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, v.36, pp.485-96 (2005).
- J.A. Schuller et al., Plasmonics for extreme light concentration and manipulation, Nature Materials v.9, p.193–204 (2010).
- V.M. Shalaev et al., Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials, Optics Letters, v.30, pp.3356-3358 (2005).
- W. Cai et al., Metamagnetics with rainbow colors, Optics Express, v.15, pp.3333-41 (2007)
- M.L. Brongersma, Introductory lecture: nanoplasmonics, Faraday Discussions, v.178, pp.9-36 (2015)
- Plasmonic ceramic materials key to advances in nanophotonics for extreme operational conditions, Purdue University News, March 19, 2015
- High-temperature plasmonics eyed for solar, computer innovation, Purdue University News, April 17, 2014
- A. Boltasseva, V.M. Shalaev, All that glitters need not be gold, Science, v.347, pp.1308-10 (2015)
- Rolf Landauer International ETOPIM Association Medal
- Joseph W. Goodman Book Writing Award
- Optical Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications
- The 2010 Optical Society of America Max Born Award
- Professor Vladimir Shalaev receives Honorary Doctorate Degree from University of Southern Denmark, Purdue, Engineering, ECE, Homepage Spotlights, November 5, 2015
- APS Fellow Archive
- Complete List of SPIE Fellows
- 2003 OSA Fellows
- 2015 MRS Fellows
- IEEE Fellows Directory
- W. Cai, V. Shalaev, Optical Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications, Springer, 2010
- A.K. Sarychev, V.M. Shalaev, Electrodynamics of Metamaterials, World Scientific, 2007
- V. M. Shalaev, Nonlinear Optics of Random Media: Fractal Composites and Metal-Dielectric Films, Springer, 2000
- S. Kawata, V.M. Shalaev (editors), Tip Enhancement, Elsevier, 2007
- S. Kawata, V.M. Shalaev (editors), Nanophotonics with Surface Plasmons, Elsevier, 2007
- V.M. Shalaev (editor), Optical Properties of Nanostructured Random Media, Springer, 2002
- V.M. Shalaev, M. Moskovits (editors), Nanostructured Materials: Clusters, Composites, and Thin Films, American Chemical Society, 1997
- Prof. V. Shalaev's website: Conference Talks
- Prof. V. Shalaev's website: Invited Lectures