|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
|Known for||Quantum entanglement|
National University of Singapore
University of Leeds
Imperial College London
Vlatko Vedral is a Serbian-born (and naturalised British citizen) physicist and Professor of Physics at the University of Oxford and CQT (Centre for Quantum Technologies) at the National University of Singapore and a Fellow of Wolfson College. He is known for his research on the theory of Entanglement and Quantum Information Theory. As of 2017 he has published over 280 research papers in quantum mechanics and quantum information and was awarded the Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award in 2007. He has held a Lectureship and Readership at Imperial College, a Professorship at Leeds and visiting professorships in Vienna, Singapore (NUS) and at Perimeter Institute in Canada. As of 2017, there were over 18,000 citations to Vlatko Vedral's research papers. He is the author of several books, including Decoding Reality.
Education and career
After completing secondary education at Matematička gimnazija, he received his B.Sc. and then a Ph.D. degree at Imperial College in 1998. He then was elected Elsag-Bailey post-doctoral research fellow in Oxford. He then held a research fellowship at Merton College Oxford before returning to Imperial College as the Governor’s lecturer to start a quantum information science research group, a position he held from 2000-2004. Before returning to Oxford, he was Centenary Professor of Quantum Information Science at Leeds University 2004-2009. He currently holds a joint appointment as a Professor of Physics and the University of Oxford and CQT (Centre for Quantum Technologies) at the National University of Singapore. He was elected Fellow of Wolfson College in 2009.
- Modern Foundations of Quantum Optics (Imperial College Press, 2005)
- Introduction to Quantum Information Science (Oxford University Press, 2006)
- Introductory Quantum Physics and Relativity (Imperial College Press, 2010)
- Solid State Quantum Information (World Scientific, 2018)
- Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information (Oxford University Press, 2010, ISBN 0-19-923769-7)
- From Micro to Macro: Adventures of a Wandering Physicist (World Scientific, 2018, ISBN 978-981-3229-51-8)
- Fellow of the UK Institute of Physics, 2017.
- Recipient of Marko V. Jaric Award, 2011. https://wiki.physics.udel.edu/ssd/Recipients_of_Marko_V._Jaric_Award
- Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award, 2007.
- The World Scientific Physics Research Medal, 2009. http://www.physics.nus.edu.sg/~phyips/awards2009.html
- Clarendon Laboratory
- Centre for Quantum Technologies
- Quantum entanglement
- Quantum discord
- Quantum relative entropy
- "Forum discussion on BBC World Services"
- "BBC Radio 4 Talk on the Material World"
- "Interview with the Observer"
- "News Invited article for 50th Anniversary of New Scientist"
- "Quantum thermodynamics in New Scientist"