|Original author(s)||Teemu Toivola|
|Initial release||23 September 2002|
2.4 / 18 August 2019
|License||GNU General Public License|
vnStat (view network statistics) is a network utility for the Linux operating system. It uses a command line interface. vnStat command is a console-based network traffic monitor. It keeps a log of hourly, daily and monthly network traffic for the selected interface(s) but is not a packet sniffer. The traffic information is analyzed from the proc filesystem. That way vnStat can be used even without root permissions.
vnStat is a console-based network traffic monitor that uses the network interface statistics provided by the kernel as information source. This means that vnStat won't actually be sniffing any traffic and also ensures light use of system resources. vnStat had an Initial public release in 23-Sep-2002 (version 1.0) by Teemu Toivola.
On 4 November 2006 was included in Debian for Testing Watch  and on 17 November 2006 was removed and next day was accepted 1.4-4 version. On 20 February 2010 was accepted 1.10-0.1 version in Debian. Nowadays Debian keeps a full history about vnstat by using a Rich Site Summary.
On 16 February 2017 a 1.17 version was released.
- "CHANGES - changelog".
- "Releases". Retrieved 13 September 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- CentOS RHEL: Install vnStat Network Traffic Monitor To Keep a Log Of Daily Traffic https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/centos-redhat-fedora-linux-install-vnstat-bandwidth-monitor/
- Makholm, Henning (4 November 2006). "vnstat 1.4-4 MIGRATED to testing". News for package vnstat. debian.org. Retrieved 16 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Oboukhov, Dmitry (20 February 2010). "Accepted vnstat 1.10-0.1 (source i386)". News for package vnstat. debian.org. Retrieved 16 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Kirkland, Dustin (26 April 2012). "vnstat_1.11-1_i386". Ubuntu Manuals. ubuntu.com. Retrieved 16 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Toivola, Teemu (16 February 2017). "CHANGES". vnStat Change Log. hunmdi.net. Retrieved 16 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to vnstat.|