The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vocational rehabilitation, also abbreviated VR or voc rehab, is a process which enables persons with functional, psychological, developmental, cognitive, and emotional disabilities or impairments or health disabilities to overcome barriers to accessing, maintaining, or returning to employment or other useful occupation.
Vocational rehabilitation can require input from a range of health care professionals and other non-medical disciplines such as disability employment advisers and career counselors. Techniques used can include:
- assessment, appraisal, program evaluation, and research.
- goal setting and intervention planning.
- provision of health advice and promotion, in support of returning to work.
- support for self-management of health conditions.
- making adjustments to the medical and psychological impact of a disability.
- case management, referral, and service co-ordination.
- psychosocial interventions.
- career counseling, job analysis, job development, and placement services.
- functional and work capacity evaluations.
State agencies in the United States
There are different agencies in the United States that run VR programs, including the following:
|VR state agency or division||Headquarters of agency or division||Notes|
|Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)||602 S. Lawrence Street, Montgomery||Toll free number restricted to Alabama residents only|
|Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)||550 W. 7th Ave., Suite 1930, Anchorage||Address is for DOLWD main office in Anchorage.|
|Arizona Department of Economic Security, Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)||1789 W Jefferson Street, Phoenix|
|Arkansas Department of Career Education, Rehabilitation Services Division (RSD)||525 W Capitol Ave, Little Rock|
|Arkansas Department of Human Services, Division of Services for the Blind (DSB)||700 Main Street, Little Rock|
|California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)||721 Capitol Mall, Sacramento|
|Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency||1718 Peachtree Street NW
Suite 376 S
Atlanta, GA 30309
- European Platform for Rehabilitation
- Occupational rehabilitation
- Psychiatric rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation counseling
- "Vocational Rehabilitation Association of the UK".
- "Process of VR". Vocational Rehabilitation Association of the UK.
- Media related to Vocational rehabilitation at Wikimedia Commons
|This disability-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|