This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2022)
|Headquarters||North Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Iñaki Berroeta (CEO)|
Canning Fok (Chairman)
|Products||Prepaid and postpaid mobile phones, fixed-line and wireless broadband|
Number of employees
TPG Telecom Limited, formerly Vodafone Hutchison Australia and renamed following the merger with TPG, is an Australian telecommunications company. It is the second largest telecommunications company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. TPG Telecom is the third-largest wireless carrier in Australia, with 5.8 million subscribers as of 2020.
TPG Telecom is home to brands in Australia including Vodafone, TPG, iiNet, AAPT, Internode, Lebara and felix. TPG Telecom owns and operates nationwide fixed and mobile network infrastructure, including Australia’s second-largest fixed voice and data network, with more than 27,000 kilometres of metropolitan and inter-capital fibre and a mobile network comprising more than 5,600 sites and covering over 23 million Australians.
TPG Telecom was previously known as Vodafone Hutchison Australia (VHA). VHA was majority owned by Hutchison Telecommunications (Australia), a listed company of CK Hutchison Holdings group and Vodafone. Vodafone Hutchison Australia was formed by a merger of Vodafone Australia and Hutchison Australia's 3 in 2009. VHA started to phase out the 3 brand in 2011.
In August 2018, VHA and TPG announced their intention to merge. Initially rejected by the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission, the plan was given permission to proceed via a February 2020 Federal Court of Australia ruling.
TPG Telecom has 27,000+-kilometre inter-capital and metropolitan fibre network and is also the second-largest data and fixed-voice network in Australia. It has an international system of connecting subsea cables to major hubs in Asia and North America from Australia. It also has a strong 4G network covering more than 23 million customers in over 5,600 sites. Additionally, a 5G network roll-out is currently underway.
A merger of TPG and Vodafone Hutchison Australia was officially announced on 30 August 2018.
Network Sharing Proposal
On 21 February 2022, TPG Telecom announced a proposed network sharing (MOCN) deal with Telstra, which would see TPG gain access to approximately 3,700 Telstra mobile base stations in regional Australia, and Telstra being authorised to use TPG's mobile spectrum in these regional areas. Under the deal, pending approval by the ACCC, 725 of TPG's mobile sites would be decommissioned, and another 169 of their sites would be used to deploy Telstra infrastructure. The deal is described as being mutually beneficial for both TPG, who would see an increase in mobile coverage area, and Telstra, who would gain access to more spectrum to relieve congestion on their network. The deal has been strongly opposed by their market competitor Optus, who argue that the approval of the deal would cement Telstra's position as the monopoly mobile operator in regional areas, stifle competition, and increase prices.
- "TPG Telecom Results Presentation for the year ended 31 December 2020".
- "TPG Telecom Limited Results for Year Ended 31 December 2020 – Appendix 4E" (PDF).
- Duckett, Chris. "Vodafone Australia and TPG merger: Everything you need to know". ZDNet. Retrieved 25 September 2020.
- Duckett, Chris (24 June 2020). "Vodafone Hutchison Australia to become TPG Telecom on Monday". ZDNet. Retrieved 24 March 2022.
- "Hutchison Telecoms".
- "Vodafone, Hutchinson[sic] complete merger". news.com.au. 16 August 2009. Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "Vodafone moves on 3's demise". itnews.com.au. 31 August 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2021.
- "TPG Share Price & Information". ASX. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Duke, Jennifer (29 August 2018). "Vodafone, TPG to become $15b telco giant to disrupt Optus and Telstra". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Reichert, Corinne. "TPG and Vodafone Australia to merge into AU$15b telco named TPG". ZDNet. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "Concerns about proposed merger between TPG and Vodafone". Australian Competition & Consumer Commission. 13 December 2018.
- Letts, business reporter Stephen (8 May 2019). "TPG share price crashes as ACCC blocks Vodafone merger". ABC News. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- Danckert, Sarah (12 February 2020). "Court clears way for $15b Vodafone-TPG merger". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Pash, Chris (30 August 2018). "Here's how the TPG-Vodafone merger stacks up against Telstra". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Harpur, Phil. "TPG Telecom Limited". BuddeComm. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "How the new-look TPG could transform the mobile market". Australian Financial Review. 5 July 2020. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "PROPOSED MERGER OF EQUALS BETWEEN TPG TELECOM LIMITED AND VODAFONE HUTCHISON AUSTRALIA TO CREATE AUSTRALIA'S LEADING CHALLENGER TELECOMMUNICATIONS OPERATOR" (PDF).
- "TPG, Telstra to share mobile network and spectrum for decades". iTnews. Retrieved 22 October 2022.
- "The ACCC Isn't Satisfied With the Telstra-TPG Regional Network Sharing Deal Just Yet". Gizmodo Australia. 30 September 2022. Retrieved 22 October 2022.