This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1994Indian operations commenced in 2007
|Headquarters||Lower Parel, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
Sunil Sood (CEO)Balesh Sharma (COO)
Internet service provider
|Revenue||₹42,956 crore (US$6.3 billion) (2017)|
|₹11,784 crore (US$1.7 billion) (2017)|
|Members||212.52 million (December 2017)|
|Parent||Vodafone Group plc|
Vodafone India is the Indian subsidiary of UK-based Vodafone Group plc, the world's second-largest mobile phone company, and is a provider of telecommunications services in India with its operational head office in Mumbai. As of March 2018, Vodafone India has a market share of 21% with approximately 223 million subscribers and is the second largest mobile telecommunications network nationally .
Vodafone India is a 100% subsidiary of Vodafone Group. It commenced operations in 1994 when its predecessor Hutchison Telecom acquired the cellular license for Mumbai. Brand Vodafone was launched in India in September 2007, after Vodafone Plc. acquired a majority stake in Hutchinson Essar in May 2007. From a single operation base with 31 million customers, the company has expanded its operations across the country to cover all 22 telecom circles and service 210 million customers.
This article needs to be updated.(November 2017)
1995- Hutchison Whampoa launches Operations in Mumbai
2000- Service in other metros – Delhi & Kolkata and also Gujarat markets through Essar acquisition
2002- Operations in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Chennai
2003- Acquires AirCel Digilink (ADIL — ESSAR Subsidiary) and launches services in Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh East and Haryana
All circles rebranded under “Hutch” brand, ‘Orange’ in Mumbai
2005-06- Starts operations in three more circles – Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Maharashtra, after acquiring BPL Mobile. BPL operates only in Mumbai under the brand 'Loop Mobile.
2007- Acquires a 67% stake in Hutchinson Essar with a subscriber base of 30 mn; the company got renamed as 'Vodafone Essar' and 'Hutch' got rebranded as 'Vodafone'
Sept 21, 2007- Vodafone launches in India
April: Vodafone crosses 100mn subscribers
May: Vodafone acquires spectrum for 9 circles in India in the auction for 3G spectrum
Oct: Soft launch of 3G in India
2011- Vodafone buys out partner Essar to become Vodafone India Ltd.
Vodafone India crosses 150mn subscribers and becomes INR 32,000 crore in revenue
June- Recognized as 'Best Marketing Company in India' by Economic Times survey
Sept- Completes 5 years in India
Nov- Launches mpesa with ICICI Bank
Nov- Acquires Cable and Wireless; along with additional spectrum in 14 circles
Vodafone files FIPB application to increase stake to 100% in Vodafone India (following 100% FDI in Telecom sector)
Vodafone receives FIPB clearance to increase stake to 100% in India unit
2014- Vodafone India is fully owned by Vodafone Group
2015- Launches World's largest 4G network in India
2016- Subscriber base crosses 200mn mark
July, 2018- Department of Telecommunication, Government of India, approved the merger of Vodafone India and Idea Cellular, to create the country's largest mobile phone operator worth more than $23 billion with a 35 per cent market share 
Since 2011, Vodafone launched 3G network using 900 MHz and 2100 MHz. The first city to receive 3G service was Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.
On 28 June 2012, Vodafone launched a new international roaming package under which the users shall have not to pay multiple rentals in the countries they are visiting.
On 19 May 2015, TRAI announced that Vodafone had been awarded spectrum in 9 circles for 3G coverage, bidding around ₹ 11617.86 million (the second highest amount in the auctions) for the spectrum.
On 8 December 2015, Vodafone announced the roll out of its 4G LTE coverage in India on 1.8 GHz and 2.1 GHz bands starting from Kochi. The service became available to customers in India nationally in 2017, with plans for further expansion.Vodafone now starts 2100Mhz and 2500 MHz for 4G by which customers will get superior 4G speed than previous.
Vodafone India has started rolling its 4G VoLTE services in the country under the tag Vodafone Super Volte. Gujarat is the first circle to receive this service. Currently the circles where the company is providing VoLTE are:
- Delhi & NCR
- Maharashtra & Goa
Radio frequency summary
Note: the above table contains Vodafone-Idea (merged entity) radio frequency details because they share their networks with each other via ICR (intra-circle roaming agreement) in some circles. For example, Idea has started it's customers in Delhi access 4G services in May 2018 via the Vodafone india network.
Awards and recognition
- LinkedIn Top Attractors 2017 Award- Vodafone India ranked 20th
- CIO Choice 2018 Award winner- Vodafone Business Services recognized as the chosen leader for Telecom Carrier - Leased Lines & Mobile Access 
- The Brand Trust Report, 2011 published by Trust Research Advisory has ranked Vodafone as the 16th most trusted brand in India.
- Flame Awards Asia 2017 for #Saluteourfarmers campaign: Silver for the Best Farmer Connect initiative and Bronze for the Best use of Social Media
- Aegis Graham Bell Awards 2017: Vodafone Business Services for Innovative Marketing Campaign for the Ready Business CampaignAegis Graham Bell Awards 2017 and Vodafone Business Services for Innovative Marketing Campaign for the Ready Business Campaign
- Voice and Data Telecom Leadership Awards 2015:Special leadership recognition to: Vodafone RED for marketing
- "Vodafone India 2017".
- "Press Release No. 23/2018" (PDF). Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. 16 February 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Parbat, Kalyan (2018-06-12). "Reliance Jio third-largest telecom by revenue market share". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- Abbas, Muntazir (2018-05-16). "Vodafone India revenue drops 29% in FY18". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "Company History | About Vodafone India". www.vodafone.in. Retrieved 2018-06-29.
- "Centre Clears Vodafone-Idea Merger To Create India's Largest Telecom Firm". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "What you dont now about Mpesa…". The mind of Mbugua Njihia. Archived from the original on 1 November 2012. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Mobile phone banking in Africa". YouTube. Archived from the original on 11 October 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- HDFC Launch Archived 16 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine.. "HDFC Launch". Retrieved 28 June 2012
- ICICI Bank Archived 16 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine.. "ICICI Bank". Retrieved 28 June 2012
- Russell, Jon (17 April 2013). "Vodafone launches M-Pesa mobile banking service in India, targeting 700m 'unbanked' people". The Next Web. Archived from the original on 21 April 2013. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Vodafone to bring M-Pesa service to 20,000 customers in MP". NDTV Gadgets. Archived from the original on 24 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- PTI. "Vodafone launches money transfer service 'm-pesa' in Delhi". The Hindu Business Line. Archived from the original on 11 October 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Ignore both Airtel Money and M-Pesa". Moneysaverindia.com. Archived from the original on 28 December 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Vodafone India offers new international roaming pack". 28 June 2012. Archived from the original on 28 June 2012.
- "India's 3G Auction Ends; Operator And Circle-Wise Results". MediaNama. Archived from the original on 25 August 2010. Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 May 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Pan India 2016 spectrum holding data sheet (updated), Telecom Talk, retrieved 15 July 2018
- Idea Cellular 4G Services Now Live in Delhi Via ICR With Vodafone, Telecom Talk, retrieved 15 July 2018
- Idea to launch VoLTE in March, inks 4G ICR agreement with Vodafone, ET Telecom, retrieved 15 July 2018
- "LinkedIn Top Companies 2017: Where India wants to work now". 2017-05-18. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "2018 Recognized Brands - CIO CHOICE". CIO CHOICE. Retrieved 2018-06-13.
- "A Matter of Trust". Financialexpress.com. Archived from the original on 11 January 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "India's most trusted brands - Rediff.com Business". Rediff.com. 20 January 2011. Archived from the original on 27 May 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.