|Eurovision Song Contest 2008 entry|
|◄ "Vertigo" (2007)|
|"What If We" (2009) ►|
"Vodka" won the Malta Song for Europe 2008 with total 78 points (49 votes from the jury and 16,979 from the public). The jury gave the same (not maximal) number of points to two other songs, but public sympathies were on the side of "Vodka" to beat the runner-up by a wide margin.
The song speaks of a spy in Gorky Park in Moscow, "in a danger zone" where everywhere is "pitch dark". She is being chased because she deciphered the code which everyone wants so badly, and the word is "Vodka".
The song sparked comments that it was crafted to attract Eastern Europeans'[who?] votes, but the authors denied the accusations saying that the song was not even intended to enter the competition.
The song title is a source of numerous puns in newspaper titles, but Morena in her interview says she does not like vodka and in fact rarely drinks alcohol.
In the Eurovision Song Contest 2008, "Vodka" was sung in the 2nd semifinal on Thursday 22 May 2008, where it received 38 points and placed 14th in the semifinal, with Malta failing to qualify for the final for the second time.
- "Malta to Belgrade with Vodka!"
- Interview: Eurovision.tv speaks to Vella & Borg 15 February 2008
- The Go Malta Song for Europe 2008 - Finalists Official Results
- "The dark one relishes the limelight", Times of Malta, January 30, 2008
- Go Malta Song 2008: Semifinalist Lyrics
- In fact, the toast similar to this one is Polish Na zdrowie (literally "to health"). The similarly sounding Russian "на здоровье" (na zdorovye, "for health", in the meaning "to aid health", is used, e.g., as a polite reply in the following situation: someone treats you with food or drink, you say your thanks, and the treating person responds "for your health" (na zdorovye), i.e., "enjoy your meal/drink!" (other usages exist). The Russian toast is "За здоровье" (za zdorovye, "to health"), wishing health to someone and accordingly it always mentions whose health is being cheered, e.g., "to your health" or "to the health of the newlywed".
- Interview with Morena and song authors