Voice of San Diego
|Type||Daily news website (Monday through Saturday)|
|Headquarters||San Diego, California, United States|
Voice of San Diego is an online-only local news site. Established in 2005, it was one of a number of such publications that emerged around that time in response to layoffs at traditional local print newspapers. The site is known for both its news coverage and local investigative reporting. The website is partially funded by grants, but is financed primarily on a nonprofit membership model.
Voice of San Diego has won a variety of local journalism awards from the San Diego chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists for investigations exposing corruption at the San Diego Unified School District and from the San Diego Press Club.
- Richard Pérez-Peña (November 17, 2008). "Web Sites That Dig for News Rise as Watchdogs". The New York Times.
- Gurwitt, Rob (December 2006). "Blackout: Big-city newspapers aren't telling citizens the things they need to know". Governing.
- Snedeker, Lisa (September 12, 2007). "The emerging online-only local paper". Media Life Magazine. Archived from the original on March 24, 2010.
- Dotinga, Randy (February 12, 2008). "Nonprofit journalism on the rise". Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved February 10, 2011.
- "Blackout: United States of Innovation". Fast Company. May 2011. Retrieved May 2, 2011.
- Wang, Shan. "Voice of San Diego is spearheading a team to help other smaller news outlets build membership programs". Neiman Lab. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Fortis, Bianca. "Membership Services Hub Aims to Help Nonprofit News Orgs Grow". MediaShift. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Ciobanu, Mădălina. "How Voice of San Diego is helping five newsrooms bring memberships into the revenue mix". journalism.co.uk. journalism.co.uk. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Lewis, Scott. "Voice of San Diego to Spin Off New Organization to Support Good Journalism Everywhere". Voice of San Diego. Voice of San Diego. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- "Winners of San Diego SPJ's 2016 Contest". Society of Professional Journalists San Diego.
- Times of San Diego Wins 16 Awards at S.D. Press Club, Times of San Diego (October 27, 2015).
- Leslie Berestein, Union-Tribune takes 11 top Press Club awards, San Diego Union-Tribune (October 22, 2009).
- Nieman Journalism Lab. "Voice of San Diego". Encyclo: an encyclopedia of the future of news. Retrieved April 1, 2012.
|This article about a United States newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|