Voice of the Beehive
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2006)|
|Voice of the Beehive|
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Alternative, pop rock|
|Labels||Food, London, East West, Discovery|
|Associated acts||Madness, That Petrol Emotion|
|Past members||Tracey Bryn
Melissa Brooke Belland
Voice of the Beehive was an Anglo-American alternative pop rock band formed in London in 1986 by Californian sisters Tracey Bryn and Melissa Brooke Belland, daughters of The Four Preps singer, Bruce Belland.
Voice of the Beehive was formed in 1986 by sisters Tracey Belland (vocals/guitar) and Melissa Belland (vocals) with British band members Martin Brett (bass guitar), Daniel Woodgate (drums) and Mike Jones (guitar). The band's initial success came in the UK, US and Australia. The band had five Top 40 singles from two albums in the UK.
Their biggest commercial success came with the singles, "Don't Call Me Baby", "Monsters and Angels", "I Think I Love You", "I Walk The Earth" and "I Say Nothing" from their first two albums Let It Bee and Honey Lingers. In 1996, the band released a third album Sex & Misery. The band reformed in 2003 to play a two-week UK tour.
The members of Voice of the Beehive have since gone their separate ways. Tracey Bryn is a teacher in Laguna Beach, California. Melissa Belland runs her own company "Made In Heaven", also in Laguna Beach. Martin Brett runs Brett Dempsey Music Productions in London and joined I, Ludicrous on bass guitar in 2008. In 2011, he released his first solo single "Lover's Lane" under his original punk name Brett Martini. He also trained to become a facial hair specialist for film, theatre, and television in 2010. Daniel Woodgate still plays drums in Madness. Mike Jones lives in Norwich, England and still plays guitar.
- Tracey Bryn - guitar and vocals - (born 17 May 1962, Encino, California)
- Melissa Brooke Belland or "Missy Beehive" - vocals - (born 17 February 1966, Los Angeles, California)
- Mark Bedford - bass guitar
- Martin Brett (Brett Martini) - bass guitar
- Mike Jones - guitar
- Daniel "Woody" Woodgate - drums
- Let It Bee (June 1988) No. 13 UK
- Honey Lingers (June 1991) No. 17 UK
- Sex & Misery (February 1996)
|Year||Song||Peak chart positions||Album|
|UK||US Hot 100||US Modern Rock||AUS
|1987||"Just a City"||—||—||—||—||Let It Bee|
|"I Say Nothing"||45||—||—||73|
|1988||"I Walk the Earth"||42||—||—||—|
|"Don't Call Me Baby"||15||—||—||48|
|"I Say Nothing" (re-issue)||22||—||11||—|
|"I Walk the Earth" (re-issue)||46||—||—||—|
|"Man in the Moon"||93||—||—||—|
|1991||"Monsters and Angels"||17||74||8||72||Honey Lingers|
|"I Think I Love You"||25||—||—||12|
|1995||"Angel Come Down"||103||—||—||—||Sex & Misery|
An early version of "Beat of Love" was featured on the London Records compilation Giant (1987).
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 588. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Chart Log UK". Dipl.-Bibl.(FH) Tobias Zywietz. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, NSW, Australia: Australian Chart Book. p. 330. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "ARIA Charts - Voice of the Beehive". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988-2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- The Beehive—Voice of the Beehive Online Archived from the original on February 2, 2011
- Voice of the Beehive at Myspace
- Voice of the Beehive at AllMusic
- Voice of the Beehive discography at Discogs
- Made in Heaven by Missy