Void galaxies are galaxies which exist in cosmological voids. Few galaxies exist in voids; most galaxies exist in sheets, walls and filaments that surround voids and supervoids. Many of the void galaxies are connected through void filaments or tendrils, lightweight versions of the regular galaxy filaments that surround voids, to each other. These filaments are often straighter than their regular counterparts due to the lack of influence by surrounding filaments. These filaments can even be rich enough to form poor groups of galaxies. The void galaxies themselves are thought to represent pristine examples of galactic evolution, having few neighbours, and likely to have formed from pure intergalactic gas.
List of void galaxies
- "The loneliest of galaxies". Hubble Space Telescope. 9 November 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- arXiv, "The Cosmically Depressed: Life, Sociology and Identity of Voids", Rien van de Weygaert et al., 17 Dec 2009, arXiv:0912.3473v1, Bibcode: 2009arXiv0912.3473V
- Astronomische Nachrichten, "On the emptiness of voids", Schmidt, K.-H.; Bohm, P.; Elsasser, H., 'vol. 318, no. 2', 02/1997, Bibcode: 1997AN....318...81S
- Astronomy and Astrophysics, "Results of a search for faint galaxies in voids", Kuhn, B.; Hopp, U.; Elsaesser, H.;, 'v.318', 02/1997, Bibcode: 1997A&A...318..405K
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, "The Bridge Effect of Void Filaments", Daeseong Park, Jounghun Lee, 'Volume 400, Issue 2', 12/2009, arXiv:0905.4277v2, Bibcode: 2009MNRAS.400.1105P, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2009.15524.x
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society; "Galaxy and Mass Assembly (GAMA): fine filaments of galaxies detected within voids"; M. Alpaslan, A. S. G. Robotham, D. Obreschkow, S. Penny, S. Driver, P. Norberg, S. Brough, M. Brown, M. Cluver, B. Holwerda, A. M. Hopkins, E. van Kampen, L. S. Kelvin, M. A. Lara-Lopez, J. Liske, J. Loveday, S. Mahajan, K. Pimbblet; 9 March 2014, arXiv:1401.7331, Bibcode: 2014arXiv1401.7331A, doi:10.1093/mnrasl/slu019
- "Studies of Selected Voids. Faint Galaxies in the Direction of the Void 0049+05", G.T. Petrov, L. Slavcheva-Mihova, V. Kopchev, 2007' '
- arXiv, "Cosmic Voids: structure, dynamics and galaxies", Rien van de Weygaert, Erwin Platen, 16 Dec 2009, arXiv:0912.2997, Bibcode: 2009arXiv0912.2997V
- The Astrophysical Journal Letters, "Detection of X-Ray Emission from Galaxies inside the Bootes Void", Chulhee Kim, Th. Boller, Kajal K. Ghosh, Douglas A. Swartz, Brian D. Ramsey, 'Volume 546, Number 2', 10 January 2001, doi:10.1086/318868
- The Astronomical Journal, "Spectroscopy of Galaxies in the Bootes Void", Shawn Cruzen 1, Tara Wehr, Donna Weistrop, Ronald J. Angione, Charles Hoopes, 'Volume 123, Number 1', 2002 January, doi:10.1086/324739
- SIMBAD, MCG+01-02-015
- Sci-News, "NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope Focuses on Lonely Galaxy", 9 November 2015
- SpaceDaily, "Hubble Views a Lonely Galaxy", 18 November 2015
- "Hubble Sees Two Dwarf Galaxies in Pisces". Sci-News. 15 August 2016.