|Industry||Apparel and consumer goods|
Orange County, California
|Headquarters||Costa Mesa, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
Richard "Wooly" Woolcott, Founder, Executive Chairman|
Brad Holman, CFO
Todd Hymel, CEO
Ryan Immegart, SVP Global Marketing
Mike Aho, Creative Director
Number of employees
|543 As of 31 December 2010[update]|
Electric Holding Corporation |
Volcom Entertainment, Inc.
Volcom Retail, Inc.
Footnotes / references|
Volcom is a lifestyle brand that designs, markets, and distributes boardsports-oriented products. The company primarily produces clothing, footwear, accessories, and related products for young men and women. Volcom is headquartered in Costa Mesa, California, United States (U.S.). Volcom is known for its trademark stone logo, its slogan True to This, and the Let the Kids Ride Free campaign. Todd Hymel is the CEO of Volcom.
Volcom was founded in 1991 by Richard "Wooly" Woolcott and Tucker "T-Dawg" Hall, who based the ethos of the company on their own experiences with boardsports. In March 1991, the two friends went on a snowboarding trip to Tahoe, U.S., and afterward, they decided to start a clothing company.
1995–2011: IPO and Kering acquisition
In April 2005, the company adopted its current name, "Volcom, Inc." Volcom became a publicly traded entity on June 29, 2005, when Wachovia Securities, D.A. Davidson and Piper Jaffray underwrote an initial public offering on NASDAQ. They priced 4.69 million shares at US$19 a share, raising a total of US$89 million.
In early 2008, Volcom made its first acquisition, taking ownership of Electric Visual Evolution LLC for US$25.3 million.
On May 2, 2011, French luxury, sport, and lifestyle group Kering (previously known as Pinault-Printemps-Redoute and PPR until 18 June 2013) launched a friendly takeover offer to buy Volcom Inc. for US$24.50 a share, valuing the company at US$608 million. Volcom's board unanimously backed the Kering offer, and shareholders were advised to tender their shares to the French company.
Outside America, Volcom has numerous international retail stores including locations in Hossegor, Bordeaux, and Paris, France; two locations in Bali, Indonesia; Tokyo, Japan; Durban and Pretoria, South Africa; Bangkok, Thailand; London and Falmouth, England; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Santiago, Chile; Lima, Perú; São Paulo, Brazil; Isla de Margarita, Venezuela; Lisbon, Portugal; Munich, Stuttgart, and Berlin, Germany;Davos, Switzerland , Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Fort McMurray, Canada, Costa Rica; and Guam.
- Noa Deane
- Dusty Payne
- Balaram Stack
- Mitch Coleborn
- Gony Zubizarreta
- Parker Coffin
- Andrew Doheny
- Ozzy Wright
- Nate Tyler
- Yago Dora
- Ryan Burch
- Gavin Beschen
- Joan Duru
- Maud Le Car
- John John Florence
- Coco Ho
- Louie Lopez
- Pedro Barros
- Alec Majerus
- Rune Glifberg
- Dustin Dollin
- Caswell Berry
- Dan Van Der Linden
- Colin Provost
- Grant Taylor
- Dane Burman
- Jackson Pilz
- Axel Cruysberghs
- Omar Hassan
- CJ Collins
- Chris Pfanner
- Ben Raemers
- Simon Bannerot
- Milton Martinez
- Pat Moore
- Bryan Iguchi
- Curtis Ciszek
- Dylan Alito
- Elena Hight
- Hailey Langland
- Jamie Lynn
- Markus Keller
- Mike Ravelson
- Scott Blum
- Arthur Longo
- Terje Haakonsen
- Torgeir Bergrem
- Marcus Kleveland
- Reid Smith
- Scotty James
Volcomunity is an online space for Volcom ambassadors—singers, models, and designers to blog about their lives. Natalie Suarez, Jennifer Herrema, Billie Edwards, Elle Green, Mike Correia, Stephanie Cherry, Amy Smith, Zoe Grisedale-Sherry and Hannah Logic are Volcom ambassadors.
In 2012, Volcom collaborated with Volcom ambassadors POSSO for the second time. POSSO is described by the brand as "2 best friends from Northern California with a love for art, design, fashion, and music." The collection included dresses and a bikini outfit.
2013 Volcom Pipe Pro Event
The 2013 Volcom Pipe Pro surf competition that took place between January 27 and February 7, 2013, has been designated as a Deep Blue Surfing Event as it completed the ASP (Association of Surfing Professionals) Green Guidelines Recommendations. The event strove to reduce the environmental impacts of a professional surfing contest and to provide social benefits for the local community.
2014 Volcom Pipe Pro Event
The 2014 Volcom Pipe Pro surf competition took place between January 26 and February 7, 2014, at the Banzai Pipeline with waves at 8–12 feet, and was televised on Saturday, June 7, 2014, on NBC. The competition is an ASP, WQS (World Qualifying Series) 5-Star Event with a $130,000 prize purse, and once again has been designated as a Deep Blue Surfing Event, working with Sustainable Surf, a waste diversion company.
Volcom created the "V.Co-logical Series" collection, whereby one percent of sales are donated to environmentally focused non-profit organizations. The company is a member of the "1% for the Planet" initiative.
In 2011, Volcom collaborated with Krochet Kids International, an organization that seeks to reduce poverty. Volcom sold handmade clothes from Uganda and some of the revenue was donated to Krochet Kids International.
In 2003, Woolcott was named the Surf Industry Manufacturers Association Individual Achiever of the Year. In 2004, Woolcott was inducted into the National Scholastic Surfing Association Hall of Fame.
In 2010, Volcom won the TransWorld Business Industry and Retail Award: “Brand of the Year”. Also in 2010, Woolcott was nominated for the Entrepreneur of the Year Award at Chapman University by the Leatherby Entrepreneurship Center.
- Volcom (2012). "Frequently Asked Questions". Volcom. Volcom, Inc. Archived from the original on September 5, 2012. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION (2010). 2010 "Volcom, Inc" Check
|url=value (help). UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION. UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- "Volcom". Skateboarding.com.au. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- "Steris named Volcom CEO, Woolcott moves to executive chairman". business.transworld.net/. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "the Volcom story". volcom.com. Archived from the original on August 1, 2013. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Kailee Bradstreet (25 July 2014). "UPSTARTS: WRECK WHEELS". TransWorld Business. TEN. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Ryan Richardson (January 28, 2012). "Volcom, the Story of the Stone". Sundance Beach. Sundance Beach Magazine. SundanceBeach.com. Retrieved August 21, 2008.[permanent dead link]
- Bellantonio, Jennifer (January 28, 2008). "Volcom to Break into Sunglasses with Buy". Orange County Business Journal. Dun & Bradstreet. AllBusiness.com, Inc. Retrieved May 14, 2011.
- Landauro, Inti (May 2, 2011). "PPR Launches Tender Offer For Volcom Shares For $608 Million". Fox Business – Retail. Paris: Fox News Channel. Dow Jones Newswires. Retrieved May 14, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Roberts, Andrew (May 2, 2011). "PPR CEO Says Volcom Acquisition Shows Scope of Future Lifestyle Deals". bloomberg.com/. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Volcom launches footwear collection for fall 2013". shop-eat-surf.com/. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Transworld (27 November 2002). "VOLCOM OPENS FIRST RETAIL STORE". Transworld Snowboarding. Bonnier Corporation. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- "Stores". Volcom. Archived from the original on November 16, 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "Some things art show by Apo Fousek @ Volcom SP (Brazil)". Discover. Volcom. September 20, 2008. Archived from the original on July 17, 2011. Retrieved May 14, 2011.
- "Natalie Suarez". volcomunity.com/. Archived from the original on August 1, 2013. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- MELISSA BORDENAVE (27 February 2012). "THE STITCH: NEW POSSO X VOLCOM COLLECTION". Active Ride Shop Blog. ASLU LLC. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Volcom Pipe Pro -2013- Sustainability Report". http://sustainablesurf.org/. Retrieved 26 July 2013. External link in
- https://www.surftoday.com/environment/10465-volcom-pipe-pro-gets-green-label[permanent dead link]
- "Volcom 2013 Sustainability Update". newfuture.volcom.com/. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Volcom x Krochet Kids Fall 2011". volcom.com/. Archived from the original on October 7, 2013. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- "Volcom CEO Woolcott OC entrepreneur of year". business.transworld.net/. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Volcom and Vans claim two TW Biz awards each". surf.transworld.net/. Retrieved 26 July 2013.