|• Total||14.0 km2 (5.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||470 m (1,540 ft)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,500/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Dübendorf, Fehraltorf, Greifensee, Illnau-Effretikon, Lindau, Schwerzenbach, Uster, Wangen-Brüttisellen|
|Twin towns||Gadmen (Switzerland)|
Volketswil has an area of 14 km2 (5.4 sq mi). Of this area, 42.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 24.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 32.1% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.8%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains). In 1996[update] housing and buildings made up 22.4% of the total area, while transportation infrastructure made up the rest (9.9%). Of the total unproductive area, water (streams and lakes) made up 0.2% of the area. As of 2007[update] 30.1% of the total municipal area was undergoing some type of construction.
Volketswil has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 18,693. As of 2007[update], 22.2% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. As of 2008[update] the gender distribution of the population was 50% male and 50% female. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 19.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (85.3%), with Italian being second most common ( 3.1%) and Albanian being third ( 2.5%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 23.7% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 68.9% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 7.4%. In Volketswil about 76.8% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). There are 5988 households in Volketswil.
Volketswil has an unemployment rate of 3.3%. As of 2005[update], there were 127 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 39 businesses involved in this sector. 3270 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 180 businesses in this sector. 5698 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 607 businesses in this sector. As of 2007[update] 36.7% of the working population were employed full-time, and 63.3% were employed part-time.
As of 2008[update] there were 4898 Catholics and 5868 Protestants in Volketswil. In the 2000 census, religion was broken down into several smaller categories. From the census[update], 43.5% were some type of Protestant, with 41.1% belonging to the Swiss Reformed Church and 2.3% belonging to other Protestant churches. 32.2% of the population were Catholic. Of the rest of the population, 7.6% were Muslim, 9.4% belonged to another religion (not listed), 2.7% did not give a religion, and 11.3% were atheist or agnostic.
- Ronny Keller (born 1979) a former Swiss ice hockey defenceman
- Dean Kukan (born 1993) a Swiss professional ice hockey defenceman
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 14-Aug-2009
- Statistics Zurich (in German) accessed 4 August 2009
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Volketswil.|
- Official website (in German)