Volkswagen Passat NMS
|Volkswagen Passat NMS|
|Production||2011 - present|
|Model years||2012 - present|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine, front-wheel drive|
|Wheelbase||2,803 mm (110.4 in)|
|Length||4,870 mm (191.7 in)|
|Width||1,834 mm (72.2 in)|
|Height||1,472 mm (58.0 in)|
The 2012 Volkswagen Passat (formerly known as the Volkswagen New Midsize Sedan, or NMS while under development) is a mid-sized sedan which replaces the previous-generation Passat B6 in the North American market. The model is also shipped overseas to South Korea. The Passat NMS was officially announced in January 2011 at the Detroit Auto Show. Built at the Volkswagen Chattanooga Assembly Plant, the new Passat allows building and shipping costs to be reduced significantly over its predecessor making it more competitive to offerings from competitors at the $20K mark.
The Passat NMS is part of Volkswagen Group's strategy to sell upwards of 800,000 vehicles per year in the North American market. The vehicle was developed by Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive and Volkswagen Passenger Cars, and is partially based on the PQ46 platform used by the European Passat. From nose to tail, it measures 191.6 inches, growing 4 inches from the European model and features a stretched 110.4-inch wheelbase and 72.2-inch width, which allows for class-leading rear legroom in the Mid-Sized class.
North American and South Korean models are built at Volkswagen Group of America's new Chattanooga, Tennessee production facility. The new facility is a "Flex Plant" which will allow for the production of vehicles based on the NMS and MQB platforms. VW announced in October 2016 that a seven-seat crossover vehicle to be called Atlas and based on the MQB platform will be built at the plant beginning in late 2016.
The NMS is sold in the North American, South Korean, Middle Eastern, and Chinese Markets, with no plans for a wagon/estate version. With the differing B7 Passat models sold outside of these markets, Volkswagen are marketing two different Passats concurrently across the globe. The Volkswagen Passat NMS won the 2012 Motor Trend Car of the Year. The 2013 Passat TDI sets new Guinness World Record for fuel economy under the Non-Hybrid car category. It achieved a fuel consumption of only 3.02 liter on 100 Kilometers (77.99 mpg).
In China, the new model is built by Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive and is marketed as a more upscale model with some interior and exterior differences to the North American model, such as wood-trimmed steering wheel, rear air vents, and LED accented headlights. It is sold alongside models such as the long-wheelbase version of the European Passat known as the Magotan and a B5 Passat-based Passat LingYu.
- 2013:Changes to the American market NMS Passat for 2013 include such upgrades as plastic covers for both trunk hinges (although they still remain of an intrusive variety). The 2013 Passat is available in S, SE, SEL and SEL Premium trims with either a five-cylinder, inline-four-cylinder diesel or V-6 powertrains. All SE and higher trimmed models also get a new center console design that now sports a pair of rear-passenger air vents, new cupholder designs, and a new cover for the front storage area. On the SE trim levels a back-up camera is optional. A backup camera is standard on all SEL-trimmed models. Volkswagen did, however, remove Dual-Zone climate control from all models except the SEL.
- Another change added to the 2013-current models was mirrors from the MK6(2011-current) Jetta whereas the 2012 Passat had the same mirrors as the Volkswagen CC.
- 2014: Changes to the American market NMS Passat for 2014 include the engine upgrade of the out dated in-line 5 cylinder beging replaced by a modern 1.8 liter turbo charged in-line 4 cylinder; Volkswagen says it is gradually phasing out the 2.5-liter 5 cylinder unit altogether. The new engine delivers 170 horsepower and 184 pounds-feet of torque. Compared to the 2.5-liter, horsepower is the same, but the 1.8 offers a bit more torque. Fuel-economy offers significant highway fuel mileage gains over the 2.5-liter unit. The 2014 Passat also now uses electro-mechanical steering, instead of the previous hydraulic setup.
Also new for 2014 is the VW Car-Net connection service system. Like GM's OnStar safety and communication system, Car-Net offers crash notification, roadside assistance and stolen vehicle location services. Through a smartphone app, users can also remotely start their vehicle, set boundary and speed alerts, and get a vehicle health report. In the 2014 Passat, the system is available on the Wolfsburg Edition trim and higher  The 2014 Passat is available in S, Wolfsburg Edition, SE, SEL, and SEL Premium trims with either a five-cylinder, inline-four-cylinder diesel or V-6 powertrains. VW says the Passat Wolfsburg Edition "offers a number of additional convenience features for a competitive price." The Wolfsburg Edition will slot between the base S ($21,640) and the midlevel SE ($24,740) trims and go on sale starting at $24,290; all prices include a $795 destination fee. To the S model — which comes standard with a five-speed manual transmission, Bluetooth connectivity, a steering wheel with audio and phone controls, automatic headlights, power exterior mirrors, and driver's seat lumbar support — the Wolfsburg Edition adds 16-inch alloy wheels, perforated V-Tex leatherette seats, a power driver's seat, heated front seats, satellite radio and a Media Device-Interface with iPod cable. Other model-year 2014 changes include more available features for the SE model, such as a backup camera, two-tone seats, and keyless access with push-button start. Wolfsburg Edition cars get a leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift knob, and parking brake for 2014.
The 2014 Passat Sport sits in between the mid-level SE and the top-of-the-line SEL Premium trim models. It features 19-inch wheels, rear spoiler, foglights, sport seats, carbon fiber-like accents, aluminum sport pedals, unique floor mats, and stainless steel door sills. Three paint choices are available. Urano Gray paint is exclusive to the Sport model, while Candy White and Tungsten Silver feature a contrasting black roof and mirror caps. The Passat Sport also comes standard with items found in the SE model, including a rearview camera, heated front seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and touchscreen audio system.
- For 2015, the Passat receives minor changes. New features have been added to some trim levels throughout the Passat lineup and an all new diesel engine with 10 more horsepower than its predecessor is now offered. Diesel models also see a slight uptick in EPA estimated fuel economy with the manual transmission TDI models scoring up to 44MPG highway. For 2015, the SE with Sun and Nav package adds curve-illuminating foglights that had been previously available only on the SEL trim level. Later in 2015, Volkswagen has announced new trim level packages that will be released that bundle more features into the Passat for less money. Those package changes will hold the Passat over until its mid-life refresh that is scheduled to be released late 2015. Volkswagen Group of America executives promise that the mid-life refresh will be more substantial than the typical model year enhancements. Many speculate a drastically changed appearance that takes styling cues from its new European counterpart (Passat B8). For the 2015 model year, the Volkswagen Passat remains the only sedan in its class to offer a standard direct injected turbocharged engine. Volkswagen also holds the title for the only diesel-powered sedan in its class. The Passat continues to offer class-leading fuel economy and prices have for the Passat have not seen much of an increase since its introduction in 2011.
Volkswagen released a sketch of the NMS in February 2009 and a more detailed, second sketch on 28 October 2009. The Passat NMS differs from its European counterpart with an overall more chiseled appearance, however it reflects the new Volkswagen Design DNA developed by Walter de Silva, the Italian design chief for the Volkswagen Group, and Klaus Bischoff, the German design leader for the Volkswagen Brand. The design features a predominance of horizontal body elements and three-blade grille and headlights forming a single unit, while its foglights float above L-shaped chrome brackets. The Passat NMS interior borrows most of its design elements from the European Passat, most notably the traditional clock and splashes of contrasting trim. However, it lacks the swooping design of its European counterpart.
In Canada and the United States, the Passat NMS was initially released with a 2.5L 5-Cylinder engine, 2.0 TDI engine and 3.6L VR6 engine. The 2.5L 5-Cylinder engine was mated to either a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic. The 2.0TDI was offered with a 6-speed manual or optional DSG (automated dual clutch transmission).
The 2.0 TDI engine is not offered in Mexico or China.
In China, the NMS is offered with a base 1.4L TSI available with a 5-speed manual or 7-speed DSG, while the 2.0L TSI and 3.0L VR6 come standard with 6- and 7-speed DSG gearboxes.
For the 2014 model year, a new 1.8L TSI four cylinder engine replaced the 2.5L inline-5 in North America.
For the 2015 model year, a new 2.0L EA288 TDI with increased power replaced the previous EA189 2.0L TDI in North America.
For the 2015 model year the 3.6L VR6 remained the same in North America.
|Model||Engine type||Power@rpm||Torque@rpm||0–60 mph acceleration||Top speed(MPH)||Fuel Economy
(City / Highway)
|2.5 L||151.0 cu in (2,474 cc) I5||170 hp (127 kW; 172 PS) @5700||177 lb·ft (240 N·m) @4250||8.8s ||110 limited||22/31|
|3.6 VR6||219.4 cu in (3,595 cc) VR6||280 hp (209 kW; 284 PS) @6200||258 lb·ft (350 N·m) @2500 - 5000||6.5s||N/A||20/28|
|2.0 TDI Clean Diesel (-2014)||120.1 cu in (1,968 cc) I4||140 hp (104 kW; 142 PS) @4000||236 lb·ft (320 N·m) @1750||8.7s||115 limited||31/43(M) / 30/40(A)|
|2.0 TDI Clean Diesel (born 2015)||120.1 cu in (1,968 cc) I4||150 hp (112 kW; 152 PS) @4000||236 lb·ft (320 N·m) @1750||8.5s||115 limited||30/44|
|1.8 TSI||109.7 cu in (1,798 cc) I4||170 hp (127 kW; 172 PS) @4800||184 lb-ft(250 nm)@1500 - 4500||7.8||115 Limited||24/35|
|Model||Engine type||Power@rpm||Torque@rpm||0–100 km/h acceleration||Top speed(Km/h)||Fuel Economy
(Litres/100 km @90 km/h)
|84.823 cu in (1,390 cc) I4||130 PS (96 kW; 128 hp) @5000||220 N·m (162 lb·ft) @1750 - 3500||10.4s||200||5|
|109.7 cu in (1,798 cc) I4||160 PS (118 kW; 158 hp) @4500||250 N·m (184 lb·ft) @1500 - 4500||9s||210||5.3|
|121.1 cu in (1,984 cc) I4||200 PS (147 kW; 197 hp) @5100||280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @1800 - 5000||8s||230||5.7|
|3.0 L V6 (VR6)||181.545 cu in (2,975 cc)VR6||250 PS (184 KW/247 hp) @6400rpm||310 N·m (229 lb·ft) @3500||7.4s||240||6.0|
|2.5 L||2011-||5-speed manual||6-speed automatic|
|3.6 VR6||2011-||6-speed DSG||-|
|2.0TDI||2011-||6-speed manual||6-speed DSG|
|1.4TSI||2014-||5-speed manual||7-speed DSG|
|1.8 TSI||2014-||5-speed manual||6-speed Automatic|
|2.0 TSI||2011-||6-speed DSG||-|
|3.0 V6 (VR6)||2011-||6-speed DSG||-|
The Volkswagen Passat NMS won the 2012 Motor Trend Car of the Year.
In a March 2012 comparison test by Car and Driver, the Volkswagen Passat NMS came in first place out of six cars. However, in a November 2012 comparison by the same magazine with three since redesigned competitors the Passat placed last.
In a 2012 comparison test by Motor Trend, the Volkswagen Passat NMS came in first place out of six cars.
Yearly American sales
- "2011 Volkswagen Jetta / NCS (New Compact Sedan) and NMS (New Mid-Size Sedan) U.S.-Market Sedans - Spied". Car and Driver. December 2008. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "UPDATE: VW announces Chattanooga-made SUV, and 2,000 new jobs". timesfreepress.com. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Volkswagen Passat 2012 now in UAE, KSA, Oman and GCC". Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "VW Passat sets world record".
- "Shanghai Volkswagen to Release the NMS in the Second Quarter of 2011". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- "Both VW NMS and Seventh Generation Passat Are Coming to China". ChinaAutoWeb.com.
- "2013 Volkswagen Passat: What's Changed". Cars.com. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "2014 Volkswagen Passat: What's Changed". Cars.com. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- [://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/2014-volkswagen-passat-whats-changed.html ://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/07/2014-volkswagen-passat-whats-changed.html] Check
|url=value (help). Missing or empty
- "VW Passat Lineup Gets Wolfsburg Edition". Cars.com. Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- Ayapana, Erick. "2014 Volkswagen Passat Sport Priced at $27,295". www.motortrend.com. Retrieved June 30, 2014.
- "First Sketch of the Volkswagen New Midsize Sedan". PaulTan.org. 13 February 2009. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
- "PHOTO ADVISORY". Volkswagen of America, Inc. 28 October 2009. Retrieved 5-Nov-09. Check date values in:
- MotorTrend February 4, 2014
- "2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco vs. 2012 Honda Accord EX-L, 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE, 2012 Kia Optima EX, 2012 Toyota Camry SE, 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE".
- "2013 Ford Fusion SE EcoBoost vs. 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV, 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE". Retrieved 14 July 2015.
- "Comparison: 2012-2013 Midsize Sedan, Battle of the Best-Sellers".
- "VOLKSWAGEN reports 26.3 percent inease in 2011 U.S. sales". Volkswagen Group of America. 2012-01-04. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "VOLKSWAGEN REPORTS 35.1 PERCENT INCREASE IN 2012 U.S. SALES". Volkswagen Group of America. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Volkswagen reports december 2013 and year-end results". Volkswagen Group of America. 2014-01-03. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- "Volkswagen reports december 2014 sales and 2014 year-end results". Volkswagen Group of America. 2015-01-05. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Volkswagen Reports December 2015 Sales and 2015 Year-End Results". Volkswagen Group of America. 2016-01-05. Retrieved 2016-01-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Volkswagen Passat NMS.|
- Volkswagen of America Passat page
- Volkswagen Canada Passat Page
- Volkswagen Mexico Passat Page
- Volkswagen China New Passat Page
- Volkswagen China Passat Interactive Page
- Shanghai Volkswagen Passat Site
- South Korean Volkswagen Passat Site
|Compact||Rabbit I||Golf II||Golf III||Golf IV||Rabbit V||Golf VI||Golf VII|
|Jetta I||Jetta II||Jetta III||Jetta IV||Jetta V||Jetta VI|
|Mid-size||Quantum||Passat III||Passat IV||Passat V||Passat VI||Passat VII|
|Coupé||Scirocco I||Scirocco II||Corrado||CC|
|New Beetle Convertible||Beetle|
|Mid-size SUV||Touareg||Touareg II|