|Commenced operations||March 2012|
Volotea was established by Alaeo S.L. from Barcelona, a company created by former Vueling founders, Carlos Muñoz and Lázaro Ros. The name "Volotea" originates from the Spanish verb "revolotear," meaning "to fly around." It commenced operations on 5 April 2012, from Venice Marco Polo Airport.
The company is backed by three private-equity funds, two of them from Europe (Axis Participaciones Empresariales and Corpfin Capital) and a third from the United States (CCMP Capital), whose chairman, Greg Brenneman, was one-time President and COO of America's Continental Airlines, and also chairs Volotea's board. The company raised over €50m before operations began.
Boeing announced on 15 February 2012 that it had signed a long term lease deal with Volotea for an undisclosed number of Boeing 717 aircraft. In March 2015, it was announced that Volotea will receive a further four 717s from Blue1. However, in November 2015, Volotea announced plans to phase out their 717 fleet over the next few years and replace it with Airbus A320 family aircraft.
As of April 2016, the Volotea fleet consists of the following aircraft:
|Airbus A319-100||4||5||150||150||5 new aircraft are scheduled to be delivered in 2017|
|Boeing 717-200||17||—||125||125||Only European operator of the Boeing 717.
To be phased out and replaced by the A320 family.
- Drum, Bruce (31 March 2012). "Volotea starts charter operations". Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- Baigorri, Manuel. "New Carrier Volotea Sets Up In Barcelona, Base Of Failed Spanair." Bloomberg. 15 February 2012. Retrieved on 12 June 2012.
- "Venice launch for Europe's newest LCC Volotea". anna.aero. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 16 April 2012.
- "Right Away and All at Once: How We Saved Continental". In: Harvard Business Review on Crisis Management.
- "Unquote: CCMP, Axis and Corpfin back Volotea". 17 February 2012.
- "News Releases/Statements". Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Finland's Blue to offload B717 fleet to Volotea, Delta". Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- ch-aviation.com - Volotea to phase out B717s in favour of A319s 10 November 2015
- ch-aviation.com - Volotea retrieved 19 December 2015
Media related to Volotea at Wikimedia Commons