This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A volunteer military system or All volunteer military system (AVMS) is a military service system that maintains the military only with applicants without compulsory conscription. A country may offer attractive pay and benefits through military recruitment to attract potential recruits. Many countries with volunteer militaries reserve the right to renew conscription in the event of an emergency.
The Indian Army is the world's largest standing volunteer army. According to the International Institute for Strategic Studies, in 2010 the army had a strength of 1,129,900 active personnel and 960,000 reserve personnel.
In recent decades, the trend among numerous countries has been to move from conscription to all-volunteer military forces. One significant example is in France, which has historically been the first to introduce modern conscription and whose model was followed by many other countries in Europe and elsewhere around the world.
- Military service
- Military volunteer
- United States Volunteers
- Volunteer Force (Great Britain)
- Greenberg, Greg A.; Rosenheck, Robert A.; Desai, Rani A. (2007-04-01). "Risk of Incarceration among Male Veterans and Nonveterans". Armed Forces & Society. 33 (3): 337–350. doi:10.1177/0095327x06296585. ISSN 0095-327X.
- Gilroy, Curtis L.; Phillips, Robert L.; Blair, John D. (1990-04-01). "The All-Volunteer Army: Fifteen Years Later". Armed Forces & Society. 16 (3): 329–350. doi:10.1177/0095327x9001600302. ISSN 0095-327X.
- Snyder, William P. (1984-04-01). "Officer Recruitment For the All-Volunteer Force: Trends and Prospects". Armed Forces & Society. 10 (3): 401–425. doi:10.1177/0095327x8401000304. ISSN 0095-327X.
- Bachman, Jerald G.; Blair, John D. (1975-10-01). ""Citizen Force" or "Career Force"?" (PDF). Armed Forces & Society. 2 (1): 81–96. doi:10.1177/0095327x7500200106. hdl:2027.42/67723. ISSN 0095-327X.
- McNown, Robert F.; Udis, Bernard; Ash, Colin (1980-10-01). "Economic Analysis of the All-Volunteer Force". Armed Forces & Society. 7 (1): 113–132. doi:10.1177/0095327x8000700107. ISSN 0095-327X.
- Janowitz, Morris; Moskos, Charles C. (1979-01-01). "Five Years of the All-Volunteer Force: 1973-1978". Armed Forces & Society. 5 (2): 171–218. doi:10.1177/0095327x7900500201. ISSN 0095-327X.