Volvo Environment Prize
Volvo Environment Prize is  an annual international award originating in Sweden. The prize is awarded to individuals who explore the way to a sustainable world. The prize is awarded by the independent foundation The Volvo Environment Prize Foundation instituted 1989. A recipient of the Volvo Environment Prize receives an original diploma by Swedish artist Göran Dahlbom, a glass sculpture and a cash award for SEK 1.5 million (approximately EUR 140 000 or USD 190 000).
The responsibility for selecting the laureate or laureates of the annual Volvo Environment Prize for recommendation to the Board of the Foundation lies with an international Prize Jury. The Jury consists of Professor Will Steffen, chair, (Australia National University), Professor Mary Scholes ( University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa), Professor Peijun Shi (Beijing Normal University, China), Professor Kazuhiko Takeuchi (The University of Tokyo, Japan) and Dr. Sybille van den Hove ( Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain).
The Royal Society of Arts and Sciences in Gothenburg, Sweden has appointed a Scientific Committee. The Scientific Committee makes the initial screening and evaluation of candidates which are presented to the Prize Jury.
Since the first award in 1990, the prize has gone to 38 individuals. Among them are many well-known names and three Nobel Prize winners. The laureates represent all fields of environmental and sustainability studies and initiatives.
- 2016 Professor Carlos Nobre
- 2015 Henning Rodhe
- 2014 Professor Eric Lambin
- 2013 Qin Dahe
- 2012 Professor Gretchen Daily
- 2011 Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber
- 2010 Harold A. Mooney
- 2009 Dr. Susan Solomon
- 2008 Professor C. S. Holling
- 2007 Amory Lovins
- 2006 Professor Ray Hilborn, Professor Daniel Pauly and Professor Carl Walters
- 2005 Dr. Mary T. Kalin Arroyo and Professor Aila Inkeri Keto
- 2004 Dr. David Satterthwaite, Jamie Lerner, Dr. Luisa Molina and Dr. Mario Molina
- 2003 Professor Madhav Gadgil and Professor Muhammad Yunus
- 2002 Partha Dasgupta and Karl-Göran Mäler
- 2001 Dr. George M. Woodwell
- 2000 Professor José Goldemberg, Dr. Thomas B. Johansson, Professor Amulya K. Reddy and Dr. Robert H. Williams
- 1999 Dr. M. S. Swaminathan,
- 1998 Professor David Schindler, Professor Malin Falkenmark
- 1997 Dr. Syukuro Manabe and Dr. Veerabhadran Ramanathan
- 1996 Dr. James Lovelock
- 1995 Professor Gilbert F. White
- 1994 Professor Gita Sen
- 1993 Professor Paul R. Ehrlich and Professor John P. Holdren
- 1992 Dr. Norman Myers and Professor Peter H. Raven
- 1991 Professor Paul Crutzen
- 1990 Professor John V. Krutilla and Professor Allen V. Kneese
The Volvo Environment Prize Foundation invites universities, research institutes, scientists and engineers as well as other individual and organizations to submit nominations for the Volvo Environment Prize. The web site www.environment-prize.com has an on-line registration form. To be considered, nominations must be submitted before January 10, 2013.
-  The Volvo Environment Prize
-  Exploring the way to a sustainable future
- "Valuation of natural capital awarded 2012 Volvo Environment Prize". Volvo Group. Retrieved 2013-10-25.