Vora city center
|• Mayor||Fiqiri Ismaili (PD)|
|• Municipality||82.72 km2 (31.94 sq mi)|
|• Administrative Unit||41 km2 (16 sq mi)|
|Elevation||60 m (200 ft)|
|• Municipality density||310/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|• Administrative Unit||10,901|
|• Administrative Unit density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Vorë (definite Albanian form: Vora) is a municipality in Tirana County, central Albania. It was formed at the 2015 local government reform by the merger of the former municipalities Bërxullë, Prezë and Vorë, that became municipal units. The seat of the municipality is the town Vorë. The total population is 25,511 (2011 census), in a total area of 82.72 km2. The population of the former municipality at the 2011 census was 10,901.
According to a tradition,the name of Vorë comes from the Albanian word "vorre" (varre) that means "graveyard." According to that tradition, the name comes from the time of Skanderbeg, because there were buried the fallen soldiers at a war.
There is a medieval castle in the constituent village of Prezë.
The municipality of Vorë includes the small village of Gerdec. In the Albanian Armed Forces' munition store in this settlement, an accident occurred on 15 March 2008, which caused a series of large explosions, lasting for several hours. As a result of these explosions 26 people lost their lives and several hundred were injured. Several hundred houses and two small villages were completely destroyed and 1,500 buildings were damaged.
The area's economy is positively affected by the large number of nearby offices and the proximity of Tirana International Airport Nënë Tereza. There is a lot of agriculture but also factories, such as the Coca-Cola Bottling Shqipëria, and consumer services. The town is located on National Road 2, between Tirana and Durrës, to the west of the capital. It is part of the Tirana-Durrës metropolitan region - industrial and commercial facilities extend along the motorway almost all the way from Tirana to Vorë. Many people who have moved from the countryside to urban areas have settled in places like Vorë or Kamëz. However, these migrants prefer places which lie closer to Tirana and, as a result, other satellite settlements have grown much more rapidly in recent years.
Vorë is an important transport hub for Central Albania. It lies in the middle of the long range of hills known as the Kodra e Gjatë which separates the Plain of Tirana from the plains running along the Erzen and surrounding Durrës to the west. Vorë is located in a pass, not more than 60 metres high, which cuts through the Kodra e Gjatë range. Railways, motorways, country roads, overhead power lines are all routed through this pass. Previously there was a canal as well. The roads from Durrës and the railways run by Hekurudha Shqiptare go on from Vorë through Fushë-Krujë to the northern part of the country and onwards to Tirana in the east. Trains from Tirana to Shkodër have to change locomotive at the Vorë station.
Villages within the municipality include Ahmetaq, Bërxullë, Breg-Shkozë, Domje, Fushë-Prezë, Gërdec, Gjeç-Kodër, Gjokaj, Kuç, Marikaj, Marqinet, Muçaj, Ndërmjetës, Palaq, Picar, Prezë, Shargë, and Rinas.
- "Law nr. 115/2014" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "Interactive map administrative territorial reform". Archived from the original on 2017-01-12. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "2011 census results" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-02-07. Retrieved 2015-05-25.
- ReliefWeb Overview of Munitions Depot Explosion - Affected Area of Gerdec, Albania (Disaster Map) (PDF-Datei; 1,44 MB)
- Neue Zürcher Newspaper, 30 April 2008: Albaniens schwache Institutionen
- albanien.ch: Schwere Explosion in Munitionslager (15 March 2008)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 September 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2011.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Claudia Hanisch. "Migration in Albanien heute. Einflüsse demographischer Entwicklungen und kommunistischer Politik", Neukirchen 2004, S. 55f" (PDF; 450 kB). Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Ines Nurja (2013). "Rezultatet Kryesore/Main Results". In INSTAT. Censusi i popullsisë dhe banesave / Population and Housing Census – Tiranë 2011 (PDF). Pjesa/Part 1. Tirana: Adel Print. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-02-07. Retrieved 2015-05-25.