Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease
|No. of offices||7|
|No. of attorneys||Approx 375 (2013)|
|Major practice areas||Litigation, labor and employment law, corporate law, commercial law, energy law, intellectual property law, privacy and data security law, and tax law |
|Key people||Russell M. Gertmenian, Managing Partner|
|Founder||Arthur I. Vorys, Lowry F. Sater, Augustus T. Seymour, and Edward L. Pease|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
|Slogan||Higher Standards Make Better Lawyers|
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an American law firm based in Columbus, Ohio. With approximately 375 employees working out of offices in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington, D.C., the firm is among the largest 150 law firms in the country, according to American Lawyer.
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease was founded in 1909 by Arthur I. Vorys, Lowry F. Sater, Augustus T. Seymour, and Edward L. Pease. The firm has been home to several generations of the Vorys family, many of whom have had ties to the Government of Ohio as well as the Federal government.
The firm is involved in lobbying at both the federal and state levels, and also has a broad range of practices, including intellectual property, entertainment law, labor & employment law, bankruptcy and creditors' rights, health law, insurance law, tax law, corporate law, international trade law, media & telecom law, real estate, environmental law, and trusts & estates. The firm also works with Cyber Investigation Services as a part of the Internet defamation practice.
The firm also has two subsidiaries. Vorys Advisors LLC is led by retired Congressman David Hobson (R-OH) and provides business and strategic counsel to Ohio businesses in manufacturing, health care, energy, real estate, venture capital, technology and other industries. Former Congressman Zack Space (D-OH) and former Ohio Senate President Tom Niehaus serve as principals for Vorys Advisors. Vorys Health Care Advisors helps health care providers, business decision makers, professional associations and other stakeholders deal with the challenges of a complex, rapidly changing state and federal health care environment. It is led by President Maureen M. Corcoran, a veteran health care professional with a unique combination of public policy, financial and clinical experience, the VHCA team offers its clients the kind of counsel that leads to well-informed decisions – and strategic action.
Notable lawyers and alumni
- John Martin Vorys, former Congressman for Ohio's 12th congressional district
- R. Guy Cole, Jr., judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- M. Peter McPherson, former deputy secretary of the United States Treasury and a former director of USAID
- Algenon L. Marbley, judge on United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, trustee for The Ohio State University
- Evelyn Lundberg Stratton, former Ohio Supreme Court Justice
- Paul Manafort, American lobbyist and political consultant
- David Hobson, retired Congressman for Ohio's 7th congressional district
- Zack Space, former Congressman for Ohio's 18th congressional district
- Tom Niehaus, former Ohio Senate President 
- Gertmenian's firm bio
- AmLaw200 Performance Statistics, 2007
- Jon Newberry (August 17, 2012). "Don't like what's posted about you online? There might be relief". Cincinnati Business Courier. Retrieved November 22, 2012.