Voyage to the Beginning of the World
|Voyage to the Beginning of the World|
|Directed by||Manoel de Oliveira|
|Produced by||Paulo Branco|
|Written by||Jacques Parsi
Manoel de Oliveira
|Edited by||Valérie Loiseleux|
Voyage to the Beginning of the World (Portuguese: Viagem ao Princípio do Mundo, French: Voyage au début du monde) is a 1997 Portuguese-French drama film directed by Manoel de Oliveira and starring Marcello Mastroianni. The film was selected as the Portuguese entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 70th Academy Awards, but was not accepted as a nominee. It was Mastroianni's final film.
French actor Alfonso visits the Portuguese village where his father once left. He is accompanied by the film director Manoel who hereby returns to the places of his childhood. Together with two other actors who serve as translators they make it to the remote village and meet the estranged kin.
- Marcello Mastroianni as Manoel
- Jean-Yves Gautier as Afonso
- Leonor Silveira as Judite
- Diogo Dória as Duarte
- Isabel de Castro as Maria Afonso
- Cécile Sanz de Alba as Christina
- José Pinto as José Afonso
- Adelaide Teixeira as Woman
- Isabel Ruth as Olga
- Manoel de Oliveira as Driver
- José Maria Vaz da Silva as Assistant
- Fernando Bento as Man 1
- Mário Moutinho as Man 2
- Jorge Mota as Man 3
- Sara Alves as Girl
- Helder Esteves as Boy
- List of submissions to the 70th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Portuguese submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Holden, Stephen. "NY Times: Voyage to the Beginning of the World". NY Times.com. Retrieved 2 April 2009.
- Margaret Herrick Library, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- "44 Countries Hoping for Oscar Nominations". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 24 November 1997. Archived from the original on 13 February 1998. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Festival de Cannes: Voyage to the Beginning of the World". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 27 September 2009.
|This article related to a Portuguese film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a French film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|