vpopmail is a free GPL software package, to provide a way to manage virtual e-mail domains and non /etc/passwd e-mail accounts on qmail mail servers. Originally developed by Inter7
- Support for 1 to 23 million virtual e-mail domains using a "grow as it goes" balanced directory tree.
- Support for 1 to 23 million e-mail users per domain using the same balanced tree structure.
- Automates all qmail configurations into scriptable command line programs and documented API library calls.
- Automates Unix user/group/other permissions of directories and files.
- Supports authenticated relay control of qmail smtp servers.
- Needs only one user in /etc/passwd for all email accounts.
- Supports name or IP based virtual domains
- Configurable logging.
- Support for MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, LDAP, Sybase, and default cdb authentication storage.
- Delivers directly to Maildir for use with qmail-pop3d, .qmail files or any other Maildir program.
- No need to have hundreds of .qmail files for virtual domains. Each domain gets its own directory under vpopmail user with a unique password file for each domain.
- Documented command line programs that can be used in scripts or for remote admin.
- Documented C library for vpopmail features and transactions.
- Daemon that manages mail accounts via TCP/IP control port.
Operating system requirements
vpopmail is known to be running on at least the following operating systems: