|• Councillor||Motaung (ANC)|
|• Total||50.1 km2 (19.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,675 m (5,495 ft)|
|• Density||350/km2 (910/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||93.1%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Postal code (street)||9835|
The town lies 60 km south of Standerton and 216 km south-east of Johannesburg. It was founded on the Krynauwslust farm in 1863 and proclaimed a town in June 1879. The name is Afrikaans for ‘peace’, which refers to the settlement of a dispute over the proposed site of the town.
Education among the youth (even from poorer background) of Vrede is on the rise, especially due to high schools such as Katleho and Evungwini.
- André Brink (1935–2015), novelist, born in Vrede but moving to Lydenburg in childhood
- Sid Kiel (1916–2007), doctor, athlete, and cricketer, born on a Vrede sheep farm but moving to Cape Town in childhood
- Brand de Villiers
- "Chronological order of town establishment in South Africa based on Floyd (1960:20-26)" (PDF). pp. xlv–lii.
- Sum of the Main Places Thembalihle and Vrede from Census 2011.
- "Dictionary of Southern African Place Names (Public Domain)". Human Science Research Council. p. 463.
|This Free State location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|