|Developer(s)||Hamrick Software (Ed Hamrick; David Hamrick)|
9.5.74 / 20 April 2017
Windows XP or later, |
Mac OS X Panther or later,
Ubuntu Linux 8.10 or later
Red Hat Linux 9 or later
|Platform||IA-32 and x64|
Windows: 6 MB|
Mac OS: 9 MB
Linux: 6 MB
|Type||Image scanner and optical character recognition|
VueScan is a computer program for image scanning, especially of photographs, including negatives. It supports optical character recognition (OCR) of text documents.. The software can be downloaded for free, but a watermark is placed on all scans until the user purchases a license.
Vuescan is intended to work with a large number of image scanners (over 4300 from 35 manufacturers as of v9.06.XX in 2018), excluding specialised professional scanners such as drum scanners, on many computer operating systems (OS), even if drivers for the scanner are not available for the OS. These scanners are supplied with device drivers and software to operate them, included in their price. A 2014 review considered that the reasons to purchase VueScan are to allow older scanners not supported by drivers for newer operating systems to be used in more up-to-date systems, and for better scanning and processing of photographs (prints; also slides and negatives when supported by scanners) than is afforded by manufacturers' software. The review did not report any advantages to Vuescan's processing of documents compared to other software. When compared to SilverFast, a similar program, the reviewer considered the two programs to be comparable, with support for some specific scanners better in one or the other. Vuescan supports more scanners, with a single purchase giving access to the full range of both film and flatbed scanners, and carries a lower price.
The Vuescan program can be used with its own drivers, or with drivers supplied by the scanner manufacturer, if supported by the operating system. Vuescan drivers can also be used without the Vuescan program by applications software that supports scanning directly, such as Photoshop, again enabling the use of scanners without current manufacturers' drivers.
VueScan enables the user to tweak and fine-tune the scanning parameters. The program uses its own independent method to interface with scanner hardware, and can support many older scanners under computer operating systems for which drivers are not available, allowing old scanners to be used with newer platforms which do not otherwise support them.
VueScan supports more than 2,400 different supported scanners and digital cameras on Windows, 2,100 on Mac OS X and 1,900 on Linux.
VueScan is supplied as one downloadable file for each operating system, which supports the full range of scanners. Without the purchase of a license the program runs in fully functional demo mode, identical to Professional mode except that watermarks are superimposed on saved and printed images. Purchase of a Professional licence removes the watermark; a cheaper Standard licence omits some advanced features.
As distributed VueScan supports optical character recognition of English documents; 32 additional language packages are available on its website.
- Image Capture – alternative scanner software bundled free with Mac OS X
- Scanner Access Now Easy – open source scanner API for Unix, Windows, OS/2
- "VueScan Downloads". Hamrick. 14 February 2015. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "VueScan Release Notes - Windows Notes". Hamrick Software.
- "Softpedia Global Page for VueScan Downloads". Softpedia. SoftNews NET SRL. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Wayne Fulton (2010). "VueScan - Film Scanner software". Scantips.com. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- "VueScan". Download.com. CBS Interactive. 25 May 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Fulton, Wayne. "VueScan". A few scanning tips. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- M David Stone (23 October 2014). "VueScan 9 review (rating 4/5)". PC Mag. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
- "VueScan now scans directly to Photoshop". Itproportal.com. March 11, 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Stone, M David (16 August 2005). "VueScan 8.0 Professional". PC Magazine. Ziff Davis. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Supported Scanners". Release Notes. Hamrick Software. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Adding OCR Languages". VueScan. Hamrick Software. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- "Vuescan is NOT struggling". Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- The VueScan Bible: Everything You Need to Know for Perfect Scanning; Sascha Steinhoff; 176 pages; 2011; ISBN 978-1933952697.