Vuokko Hillevi Lilian Eskolin-Nurmesniemi (born 12 February 1930 in Helsinki) is a Finnish textile designer. She is best known for her work as one of the two leading designers of the Marimekko company. Her signature striped Jokapoika shirt helped to make the company's name.
Vuokko Eskolin-Nurmesniemi joined the Finnish company Marimekko in 1953. She designed patterns for many of their printed fabrics in the 1950s; together with Maija Isola, she was responsible for most of Marimekko's patterns. Nurmesniemi's signature product was a simply striped red and white shirt named Jokapoika, in 1956; she went on to create a large number of striking designs.
Nurmesniemi left Marimekko in 1960 and founded her own company, Vuokko Oy, in 1964. This company closed its doors in 1988. In 1990 Nurmesniemi founded a second company, Vuokko Nurmesniemi Oy.
She was married to designer Antti Nurmesniemi until his death in 2003.
Museums and exhibitions
Ted Hesselbom of the Swedish Röhsska Museum wrote of Vuokko's Retrospective in 2009:
Vuokko Nurmesniemi's collections for fashion and interior design have a strong graphic and colourful design. Their style and expression is clearly from the same era as Andy Warhol, Mark Rothko and Roy Lichtenstein.
- Jackson, Lesley. Twentieth Century Pattern Design. Princeton Architectural Press, 2007. ISBN 978-1-56898-712-5
- Jackson, 2007, page 128
- Finn Guide Archived 2011-07-20 at the Wayback Machine. Vuokko Nurmesniemi - Fashion Designer. 25 May 2007. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Marimekko Timeline Archived 2011-10-27 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 30 October 2011
- "Design x Finland Participants". VUOKKO. Hirameki. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: Vuokko Eskolin-Nurmesniemi. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- Kristoffersson, Sara (25 July 2009). "Kultur på tvären". Svenska Dagbladet. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Hirameki Design Finland". Vuokko. Retrieved October 12, 2012.
- US.Marimekko.com: Vuokko Eskolin-Nurmesniemi
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: Vuokko Eskolin-Nurmesniemi (images of Vuokko designs)
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Finnish artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a designer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|