|Member of the State Duma|
|Assumed office |
4 December 2011
|Born||5 June 1956|
Moscow, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||United Russia|
|Education||Moscow State University|
Vyacheslav Alekseyevich Nikonov (Russian: Вячеслав Алексеевич Никонов; born 5 June 1956) is a Russian political scientist. He is a grandson of Vyacheslav Molotov, prominent Bolshevik and Soviet foreign minister under Joseph Stalin, whom he was named after, and Polina Zhemchuzhina, a Soviet politician.
Nikonov graduated from the History Department of Moscow State University in 1978 and has been studying the history of the Republican Party in the United States after World War II. He has been involved in Soviet and Russian politics since the 1970s, first as a local Komsomol leader, later in the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, and as a member of Mikhail Gorbachev, Boris Yeltsin, and Vladimir Putin's staff. In 1993, Nikonov was elected to the State Duma. In 2005, he published an early biography of Molotov (in Russian). As a biographer of his own grandfather, Nikonov cannot be regarded as an objective source, and he personally recognized this fact in the interview. In the same interview, Nikonov stated to be proud that Molotov was a wise and coolly ruthless man, giving him the right to be listed together with Timur (by the words of Winston Churchill). In 2005–2007, he was a member of the Public Chamber of Russia. Since 2007, Nikonov has been heading the Russkiy Mir Foundation established by Putin to promote Russian language and culture internationally. Since 2011, Nikonov has been heading School of Public Administration at Moscow State University. In 2011, was once again elected to the State Duma, and became the Chairman of the Education Committee in 2013. In July 2012, Nikonov received an Honorary Doctorate of Letters from the University of Edinburgh.
- Yale Richmond. Cultural Exchange & the Cold War: Raising the Iron Curtain. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 2003. ISBN 0-271-02532-8. P. 173.
- Lynn Berry. Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact seen in new light. Associated Press, 22 August 2009.
- Answers on the questions of journalist from the «Родная газета» (English translation).
- "Management Board". www.russkiymir.ru. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- "Декан факультета государственного управления". www.spa.msu.ru. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- "Vyacheslav Nikonov: Education Is an Inertial System, and Sharp Changes Are Dangerous".
- "Honorary graduates". The University of Edinburgh. Retrieved 22 November 2021.
- "Gorbachev Threatens 'Daily Show' Reporter". HuffPost. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 22 November 2021.
- "U.S. Treasury Sanctions Russia's Defense-Industrial Base, the Russian Duma and Its Members, and Sberbank CEO". U.S. Department of the Treasury. Retrieved 10 April 2022.