Member of Parliament
|10th Chairman of the State Duma|
5 October 2016
|Preceded by||Sergey Naryshkin|
|First Deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Administration of Russia|
27 December 2011 – 5 October 2016
|Preceded by||Vladislav Surkov|
|Succeeded by||Sergey Kiriyenko|
|Deputy Prime Minister of Russia — Head of the Government Executive Office|
21 October 2010 – 27 December 2011
|Preceded by||Sergey Sobyanin|
|Succeeded by||Anton Vaino|
|Deputy of the State Duma|
18 September 2016
2 December 2007 – 21 October 2010
|Born||Vyacheslav Viktorovich Volodin
Вячеслав Викторович Володин
4 February 1964
Alekseevka, Khvalynsky District, Saratov Oblast, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||United Russia|
|Profession||Doctor of law|
Vyacheslav Viktorovich Volodin (Russian: Вячесла́в Ви́кторович Воло́дин, born February 4, 1964 in Alekseevka, Khvalynsky District, Saratov Oblast, Soviet Union) is a Russian politician and an aide to Russia's President Vladimir Putin. The former Secretary-General of United Russia was a deputy in the State Duma from 1999 until 2011. From 2010 until 2012 he was Deputy Chairman of the Government of the Russian Federation. Since December 2011 Volodin is first deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Administration of Russia. Volodin engineered Putin’s conservative turn in his third term.
Volodin was graduated in mechanical engineering from the Faculty of organization and technology of the Saratov Institute of Mechanization of Agriculture in 1986, followed by a degree in law from the Russian State Service Academy under the President of the Russian Federation in 1995 and a Ph.D. in law from the Interior Ministry's St. Petersburg Institute in 1996 with the thesis, "A Russian Constituent Entity: Problems of Power, Law-making and Administration." He worked as a lecturer and assistant professor as well.
In 1990 he was elected as a member of the City Council of Saratov. Since 1992 Volodin was the Deputy of the Head of Administration of Saratov, since 1994 deputy chairman of the Saratov Regional Duma and in 1996 he was appointed to the Vice Governor of the Saratov region.
In the Russian legislative election in 1999 he was a candidate of the political bloc Fatherland - All Russia. After being elected Volodin became deputy chairman of the third State Duma, and from September 2001 he was the head of the Fatherland - All Russia.
In 2003 he ran for a seat in the fourth State Duma and was elected as a representative of Balakovo, Saratov region. In the fourth State Duma he was deputy chairman again and appointed first deputy head of the fraction of the ruling party United Russia which has been founded in 2001. Since 2005 he was the party's Secretary-General of its Council Presidium.
In 2007, he was elected to the Russian State Duma in its fifth session. Until October 2010, he was once more Deputy of the Chairman of the Duma.
In October 21, 2010 he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister under Dmitry Medvedev. as well as — after the dismissal of Sergey Sobyanin in connection with his approval to the Mayor of Moscow — Chief of Staff of the Presidential Executive Office.
In April 28, 2014, following the Crimean status referendum, the U.S. Treasury put Volodin on the Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN), a list of individuals sanctioned as “members of the Russian leadership’s inner circle.” The sanctions freeze any assets he holds in the US and ban him from entering the United States.
On 12 May 2014, Volodin was added to the European Union sanctions list due to his role in the 2014 Crimean crisis. He is barred from entering the EU countries, and his assets in the EU have to be frozen.
23 September 2016, President Vladimir Putin proposed the candidacy of Vyacheslav Volodin to the post of Chairman of the State Duma. The majority leader Vladimir Vasilyev said that the United Russia faction will support the candidacy of Volodin.
Honours and awards (selection)
- Order of Friendship (1997)
- Order of Honour (2003)
- Order "For Merit to the Fatherland" 4th class (2006); 2nd class (2012)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vyacheslav Volodin.|
- Archived versions of Volodins former homepage (edited until 2010, Russian)
- Official biography at kremlin.ru
- Detailed biographic article by Alexey Makarkin (Russian)
- Vyacheslav Volodin. themoscowtimes.com (accessed 2015-10-14)
- "Cluster bomb: How Russia is ruled". The Economist. 16 September 2016. Retrieved 16 September 2016.
- VOLODIN, Vyacheslav Viktorovich. russiaprofile.org, 2011-05-26 (accessed 2015-08-25)
- Treasury Sanctions Russian Officials, Members Of The Russian Leadership’s Inner Circle, And An Entity For Involvement In The Situation In Ukraine
- Elizabeth Piper (28 December 2014). "Crunch time: As sanctions bite, Putin ally gets into apples". Reuters. Thompson Reuters. Retrieved 28 December 2014.
- Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN)
- "Announcement Of Additional Treasury Sanctions On Russian Government Officials And Entities". US Treasury. April 28, 2016. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- Rupar, Terri (April 28, 2014). "U.S. announces new sanctions on Russians: Who's on the list". The Washington Post. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- President of The United States (March 19, 2016). "Ukraine EO13661" (PDF). Federal Register. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "COUNCIL IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) No 477/2014". THE COUNCIL OF THE EUROPEAN UNION. eur-lex.europa.eu. 2014-05-12. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Путин попросил назначить Вячеслава Володина спикером Госдумы" (in Russian). meduza.io. 2016-09-23.
- "Вячеслав Володин — новый спикер Госдумы. Главное" (in Russian). meduza.io. 2016-09-23.
- "Указ Президента РФ от 15 августа 1997 г. N 891 "О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации работников предприятий, учреждений и организаций Саратовской области"" (in Russian). bazazakonov.ru. 1997-04-15. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Указ Президента РФ от 14 апреля 2003 г. N 438 "О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации"" (in Russian). bazazakonov.ru. 2003-04-14. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Указ Президента РФ от 20 апреля 2006 г. N 404 "О награждении орденом "За заслуги перед Отечеством" IV степени Володина В.В."" (in Russian). bazazakonov.ru. 2006-04-20. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- Наталья Костенко; Максим Гликин; Алексей Никольский (2012-04-27). "Президент наградит орденами небывало много чиновников" (in Russian). vedomosti.ru. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
|Chairman of the State Duma