W. C. Dowd
March 21, 1865|
Moore County, North Carolina
|Died||September 23, 1927
Charlotte, North Carolina
|c. 1888||Wake Forest|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
William Carey Dowd, Sr. (March 21, 1865 – September 23, 1927) was an American football player and coach, politician, and publisher. He served as the first head football coach at Wake Forest University, coaching the team for one game in 1888. Dowd later became a Speaker of the North Carolina House of Representatives and established a newspaper, The Charlotte News.
Head coaching record
|Wake Forest Baptists (Independent) (1888)|
- "Who's who in the South". google.ca.
- "North Carolina, Deaths, 1906-1930 Image North Carolina, Deaths, 1906-1930; pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12865-157993-11 — FamilySearch.org". familysearch.org.
- "History of Wake Forest College". google.ca.
- "History of Wake Forest College, Volume II page 322". tizrapublisher.com.
- "History of Wake Forest College, Volume II page 360". tizrapublisher.com.
|This biographical article relating to a college football coach first appointed in the 1880s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|