W. Christopher Waddell
|W. Christopher Waddell|
|Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric|
|9 October 2015|
|Predecessor||Dean M. Davies|
|First Quorum of the Seventy|
|2 April 2011– 9 October 2015|
|End reason||Called to Presiding Bishopric|
|Born||Wayne Christopher Waddell
28 June 1959
Manhattan Beach, California
|Alma mater||San Diego State University|
Wayne Christopher Waddell (born June 28, 1959) has been the second counselor to Gérald Caussé in the Presiding Bishopric of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) since October 9, 2015. He has been a general authority of the LDS Church since 2011.
Born in Manhattan Beach, California, Waddell was a missionary for the LDS Church in the Spain Barcelona Mission from 1978 to 1980. He earned a bachelor's degree in history from San Diego State University, where he was a member of the volleyball team, earning All-American honors his senior year. Beginning in 1984, he worked for Merrill Lynch in San Diego and eventually became first vice president of investments for the firm. He completed some work in the MBA program at Brigham Young University.
In the LDS Church, Waddell has served as a bishop, high councilor and as president of the Del Mar California Stake. From 2006 to 2009, he returned to Barcelona, where he had served as a young missionary, and served as the mission president. After returning from Spain, he served as a counselor in the presidency of the California Carlsbad Mission until April 2010, when he was called as an area seventy in the church's North America West Area (covering California and Hawaii) and member of the Fifth Quorum of the Seventy.
Waddell became a general authority of the church in April 2011, when he was added to the First Quorum of the Seventy. From 2011 to 2015, he served as a counselor in the church's South America Northwest Area.
The Presiding Bishopric was reorganized in October 2015, following the appointment Gary E. Stevenson, who had been serving as the Presiding Bishop, to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Stevenson was succeeded by Gérald Caussé, who had served as his first counselor. Caussé called Waddell as his second counselor.
- "New Presiding Bishopric Announced : Bishop Gérald Caussé is 15th presiding bishop in Church's history", Newsroom, LDS Church, 2015-10-09
- Lloyd, R. Scott (21 May 2011). "Elder W. Christopher Waddell: Trust in God is personal, family motto". Church News.
- "New mission presidents", Church News, March 18, 2006
- "New Area Seventies", Church News, April 24, 2010
- Taylor, Scott (2 April 2011). "New LDS Seventies sustained". Deseret News.
- "LDS First Presidency announces area leadership assignments", Church News, 2 May 2015.
- "Elder W. Christopher Waddell", Liahona, May 2011
- "Bishop W. Christopher Waddell", Liahona, November 2015
|The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints titles|
Dean M. Davies
|Second Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric
October 9, 2015 –