W. M. Matthews was an American football coach. He served as the head football coach at Mississippi A&M (now known as Mississippi State University) for their inaugural football season in 1895. During his one-season tenure, Matthews compiled an overall record of zero wins and two losses (0–2). He is also credited with the selection of what became the official school colors, maroon and white, prior to the Aggies first game ever played at Union University.
Head coaching record
- ^ Mississippi State Football 2014 Media Guide
- ^ "MSU Timeline" (PDF). p. 2.
- ^ DeLassus, David. "W. M. Matthews Records by Year". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- ^ Barnwell, Marion (1997). A Place Called Mississippi: Collected Narratives. Jackson, Mississippi: University Press of Mississippi. p. 241. ISBN 0-87805-964-4. Retrieved February 19, 2012.
- ^ Galbraith, Joe; Nemeth, Mike, eds. (2006). 2006 Mississippi State Football Media Guide (PDF). Birmingham, Alabama: EBSCO Media. p. 126. Retrieved February 19, 2012.