W/ Bob & David
|W/ Bob & David|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||4 (and 1 special)|
|Running time||27–33 minutes|
|Original release||November 13, 2015|
W/ Bob & David is a comedy sketch show created by and starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross that premiered on Netflix on November 13, 2015. The sketch show consists of four half-hour episodes plus an hour-long making-of special entitled "Behind the Making of the Scenes". It is a revival of sorts of the 1995-1998 HBO sketch comedy series Mr. Show with Bob and David, which also starred Odenkirk and Cross. W/ Bob & David shares many of the same supporting cast members and writing team of the earlier series, and its title is also a variation of that of Mr. Show. Odenkirk described W/ Bob & David as "lighter", "less complex" and "faster" than Mr. Show.
Shooting began on April 15, 2015. W/ Bob & David is written and executive produced by Odenkirk and Cross. Marc Provissiero and Naomi Odenkirk, Tim Sarkes, Dave Kneebone, Tim Heidecker, and Eric Wareheim also produce. The four episodes, which were released simultaneously on November 13, 2015, had the studio segments directed by Keith Truesdell and the pre-recorded segments directed by Jason Woliner, except for the fourth episode, in which Tom Gianas also directed the pre-recorded segments. The hour-long special was directed by Lance Bangs.
In an August 2016 interview with The A.V. Club, Cross stated "We will absolutely do some more of that at some point. It's really tough. Bob and I really want to do it, Netflix would like us to do it again, everybody's on board. It's just a matter of scheduling, and Bob's got a very strict, specific schedule with Better Call Saul."
Season 1 (2015)
|No.||Title||Original release date||Still available|
|1||"Episode 1"||November 13, 2015||Y|
|A sketch comedy series written by and starring Bob Odenkirk and David Cross. In the series opener, the guys are dishonorably discharged from the Navy SEALs.|
|2||"Episode 2"||November 13, 2015||Y|
|Bob and David disagree with Standards and Practices; cops get sensitive with a witness; and a man is inspired to create a musical at the dry cleaners.|
|3||"Episode 3"||November 13, 2015||N|
|Digital is the new gospel; an anti-police operation goes wrong; and a skier turns into a major cultural figure|
|4||"Episode 4"||November 13, 2015||Y|
|Mothers are spotlighted; a boy has a controversial journey to Heaven; salesmen tell their stories; and Bob sneaks in a skit, much to David's dismay|
|5||"Episode 5"||November 13, 2015||Y|
|Go behind the scenes in this hour-long special where Bob and David reveal what it takes to put on a sketch show in their own special way.|
- Bob Odenkirk
- David Cross
- John Ennis
- Jay Johnston
- Tom Kenny
- Brett Paesel
- Brian Posehn
- Jill Talley
- Paul F. Tompkins
- Mark Rivers
- Scott Aukerman
- Eric Von Hoffman
- Mary Lynn Rajskub
- Dino Stamatopoulos
- Becky Thyre
W/ Bob & David received positive reviews from critics. On the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 89%, based on 27 reviews, with an average rating of 7.64/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "W/ Bob & David offers a long-overdue reunion between Mr. Show principals Odenkirk and Cross – and a suitably hilarious reminder of the reasons for their subsequent individual successes." On Metacritic, the series has a score of 76 out of 100, based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Los Angeles, win tickets to a live taping of Netflix's With Bob And David". The A.V. Club. April 22, 2015. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- Robinson, Joanna (September 16, 2015). "Mr. Show's Bob Odenkirk and David Cross Poke Fun at Their Age in New Netflix Teaser". Vanity Fair. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- Miraudo, Simon. "Review: Could 'With Bob And David' Ever Have Lived Up To The Legacy Of 'Mr. Show'?". Junkee. Junkee Media. Retrieved December 6, 2015.
- "Bob Odenkirk on the Better Call Saul finale and his new Netflix sketch show with David Cross". Entertainment Weekly. April 6, 2015. Retrieved April 7, 2015.
- "Bob Odenkirk & David Cross Sketch Comedy Gets Netflix Series Order". Deadline. April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 3, 2015.
- "David Cross on why his comedy tour pissed off people right and left". 2016-08-18. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- Netflix removes episode of W/ Bob & David featuring Blackface sketch
- "W/ Bob & David: Season 1 (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved April 25, 2019.
- "W/ Bob & David : Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved April 25, 2019.