Size comparison of WASP-8b with Jupiter.
|Discovered by||Cameron et al. (SuperWASP)|
|Discovery date||April 1, 2008|
|0.0793 AU (11,860,000 km)|
|1.85 g/cm3 (0.067 lb/cu in)|
WASP-8b is an extrasolar planet discovered (with their stars) in the SuperWASP batch -6b to -15b. On 1 April 2008, Dr. Don Pollacco of Queen's University Belfast announced them at the RAS National Astronomy Meeting (NAM 2008).
The equilibrium temperature is 950 K, but this oscillates due to eccentricity.
- Density is calculated from the mass and the radius, assuming a circular disc of eclipse relative to the Earth.
- Patricio Cubillos et al., "The Characterization of the Cool and Eccentric Exoplanet WASP-8b with Spitzer" in DPS Annual Meeting session "103.Extrasolar Planets: Atmospheric Chemistry and Characterization" (Monday, Oct 15, 2012, 11:40 AM -11:50 AM).
- "THE (SUPER)WASP FACTORY FINDS 10 NEW PLANETS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS". 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- European Southern Observatory. "Artist's impression of an exoplanet WASP 8b in a retrograde orbit".
- Didier Queloz; et al. (2010). "WASP-8b: a retrograde transiting planet in a multiple system". Astronomy and Astrophysics. 517: L1. arXiv:1006.5089. Bibcode:2010A&A...517L...1Q. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201014768.
Media related to WASP-8b at Wikimedia Commons