|City||Wheeling, West Virginia|
|Broadcast area||Wheeling, West Virginia
St. Clairsville, Ohio
|Branding||Fox Sports 1400|
|First air date||1941|
|Power||1,000 watts day and night|
|Callsign meaning||W Big BanD
|Affiliations||Fox Sports Radio|
(Capstar TX LLC)
|Sister stations||WEGW, WKWK-FM, WOVK, WVKF, WWVA|
WBBD is an all-Sports formatted broadcast radio station, licensed to Wheeling, West Virginia, serving Wheeling in West Virginia and St. Clairsville in Ohio. WBBD is owned and operated by iHeartMedia, Inc..
WBBD was an affiliate of the 24/7 Comedy Network from October 2012 until June 2014, when the station adopted its current Sports format. The Comedy format had been a failure in the local ratings, registering a zero share 12+ in the Fall 2013 Nielsen Media report. Prior to October 2012, the station had featured oldies and adult standards formats.
Taking over for WWVA
On August 4, 2010, severe thunderstorms, that's been classified as a "down burst" by the National Weather Service, pushed through the Wheeling area knocking the 3 tower array, located in nearby St. Clairsville, Ohio, and used by sister station WWVA, to the ground. The station was knocked completely off the air and took its programming to WBBD on August 5. WBBD will temporarily carry WWVA's News/Talk/Sports programming lineup. On August 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm transmissions were restored and WWVA was broadcasting on 1170 AM on temporary power. At that time, WBBD resumed their normal programming.
- "Fox Sports Debuts in Wheeling," RadioInsight.com, 2 June 2014. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- "WWVA Radio Towers Destroyed by High Winds". WTRF-TV. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "WWVA Towers Knocked Down". WWVA. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Storms Cause Serious Damage, More On The Way". WTOV9. 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Update: Back on the air". WWVA. 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2010-08-05.
- 1400 WBBD Online
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WBBD
- Radio-Locator Information on WBBD
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WBBD
|This article about a radio station in West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|