|Branding||AM 1420 WBEC|
|First air date||March 1947|
|Format||News Talk Information|
|Affiliations||ABC News Radio
Fox News Radio
Fox Sports Radio
|Owner||Gamma Broadcasting, LLC|
|Sister stations||WBEC-FM, WNAW, WUPE, WUPE-FM, WSBS|
|Website||AM 1420 WBEC Webpage|
WBEC (1420 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a News Talk Information format. Established in 1947, the station is licensed to serve Pittsfield, Massachusetts, United States. The station is owned by Gamma Broadcasting, LLC and features programing from ABC News Radio and Premiere Networks, including Premiere's talk network and Fox Sports Radio.
On March 5, 2012, WBEC announced it would no longer carry The Rush Limbaugh Show in response to Limbaugh's derogatory remarks about law student Sandra Fluke. General manager Peter Barry told local NPR member station WFCR that he and his staff had been troubled by Limbaugh's rhetoric for many years, but his attacks on Fluke were the last straw. WBEC is believed to be the second of Limbaugh's affiliates to cancel his show; KPUA in Hilo, Hawaii had dropped Limbaugh a few hours earlier. WBEC replaced Limbaugh with The Mike Huckabee Show upon that show's launch on April 9 of the same year. The station began to run The Howie Carr Show on January 5, 2015.
In August 2013, Gamma Broadcasting reached a deal to sell its Berkshire County radio stations, including WBEC, to Reed Miami Holdings; the sale was canceled on December 30, 2013. In October 2016, Gamma agreed to sell its stations to Galaxy Communications.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-212. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "WBEC Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Pittsfield Mass. Radio Station Drops Rush Limbaugh After Contraception Controversy. WFCR, 2012-03-05.
- "Western Massachusetts Cluster Sold". All Access. August 23, 2013. Retrieved August 29, 2013.
- Venta, Lance (January 14, 2014). "Pittsfield Cluster Sale Withdrawn". RadioInsight. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Venta, Lance (October 17, 2016). "Galaxy Communications Acquires Pittsfield Cluster". RadioInsight. Retrieved April 19, 2017.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WBEC
- Radio-Locator Information on WBEC
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WBEC
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|