|City||Newark, New Jersey|
|Broadcast area||Metro New York-New Jersey|
|Branding||WBGO Jazz 88|
|Slogan||The Jazz Source|
|Frequency||88.3 MHz (also on HD Radio)|
|First air date||1948|
|Owner||Newark Public Radio|
WBGO (88.3 FM, "Jazz 88") is a public radio station broadcasting from Newark, New Jersey with its transmission system located on top of 4 Times Square in New York City, New York. The station primarily plays jazz music. In addition the station airs public affairs programming, locally produced newscasts, traffic reports from Metro Traffic during morning and afternoon rush hours, and NPR-produced newscasts and programming.
Until 2008, WBGO was, with smooth jazz station WQCD 101.9 FM, one of two major FM jazz stations in the New York City metropolitan area. That changed when Emmis Communications decided to change WQCD's format to rock and its call letters to WRXP, leaving WBGO as the New York area's only jazz station (although an online version of CD101.9 was launched in late summer 2015). While WBGO's base of operations remains in the New Jersey city of Newark, the station's broadcast antenna and transmission system moved to New York City's Midtown Manhattan on December 30, 2011.
The station was originally owned by the Newark Board of Education and had studios in Central High School. Studios and offices are now located at 54 Park Place in downtown Newark, and its transmitter is atop of Condé Nast Building in Times Square in New York City. It is also available as a web radio station, with both a live stream and on-demand replay of shows.
WBGO is a publicly supported cultural institution that champions jazz and presents news to a worldwide audience through radio, other technologies and events.
- Gary Walker: Morning Jazz
- Rhonda Hamilton: Mid-Day Jazz
- Michael Bourne: Afternoon Jazz, Singers Unlimited, The Blues Hour
- Awilda Rivera: Evening Jazz, Latin Jazz Cruise
- Brian Delp: Jazz After Hours
- Harlan Jacobson: WBGO Journal Film Critic
- Bob Porter: Portraits in Blue, Saturday Morning Function
- Felix Hernandez: Rhythm Revue
- Monifa Brown: Saturday Afternoon Jazz
- Rob Crocker: Saturday Evening Jazz, Sunday Afternoon Jazz
- Daniel Karcher: Sunday Morning Harmony
- Eulis Cathey: Sunday Night Music Mix
- Sheila Anderson: Weekend Jazz After Hours
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WBGO
- Radio-Locator information on WBGO
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WBGO
- Mac OS X WBGO widget
- WBGO website
- Conversations with Allan Wolper
- streaming audio
- Windows Media Player
- jazz vault
- "HD Radio station guide for New York, NY". Hdradio.com. Retrieved 2016-03-06.