|Broadcast area||Wilkes-Barre/Scranton/Hazleton, PA|
|Slogan||Keep it locked!|
|First air date||June 20, 1973|
|Callsign meaning||Wilkes College Listening Habit|
WCLH (90.7 FM) is a non-commercial radio station licensed to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA, the station serves the Scranton area. The station is currently owned by Wilkes College. The station has obtained a construction permit from the FCC for a power increase to 205 watts. The station plays alternative rock, heavy metal, and most recently adding rap/hip-hop to the programming schedule. It also airs the nationally syndicated shows Democracy Now, Making Contact, CounterSpin, Radio Goethe and The Full Armor of God Broadcast. Like most college radio stations, it is run by a staff of students with the exception of a faculty general manager to oversee the day-to-day operations.
WCLH / WNEP-TV Tower Collapse
WNEP-TV's transmission tower broadcasting the analog signal on channel 16 and WCLH's FM signal collapsed on December 16, 2007 due to severe ice, winds, and snow at the transmitter location on Penobscot Knob. The tower collapse also destroyed the transmitter building. No one was injured during the incident. The collapse of the tower supporting the antennas for WCLH (FM) and WNEP(analog TV) also damaged the nearby WVIA tower putting WVIA-TV off the air and severed power to the transmitters for WYOU-TV and WBRE-TV putting those stations off the air for a time. WCLH continued to broadcast after the tower collapse through the internet via their "Radio Stream" on their website. WCLH was able to broadcast over the air again after the tower collapse via a low powered signal from a temporary site by the end of December 2007. By December 28, 2007, the WCLH antenna (which survived the tower collapse) and transmitter was moved to a new tower 1 km east, northeast of its former location where it again resumed over the air broadcasting at 90.7 MHz to a significant portion of its original coverage area (see revised service contour map cited below).
- "WCLH Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "WCLH Station Information Profile". Arbitron.
- The Full Armor of God Broadcast
- Steve Mocarsky and Mark Sowers (December 17, 2007). "Storm tips TV towers". The Times Leader (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania). Retrieved December 17, 2007.
- "Current News: WCLH FM off the air". WCLH (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania). December 17, 2007. Retrieved December 17, 2007.
- PAHomePage.com (December 17, 2007). "WYOU and WBRE TV Signal Update". WYOU (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania). Retrieved December 17, 2007.[dead link]
- Scott Fybush. "Northeast Radio Watch - December 24, 2007 - Pennsylvania". Northeast Radio Watch (Rochester, New York). Retrieved January 10, 2008.
- "FCC Engineering STA, File No. BSTA - 20071227ABX". December 28, 2007.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCLH
- Radio-Locator information on WCLH
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCLH
|This article about a radio station in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|