This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|City||Grand Rapids, Michigan|
|Slogan||Family Friendly, Commercial Free|
|Format||Christian adult contemporary|
|Callsign meaning||College and Seminary of Grand Rapids|
WCSG 91.3 MHz is a radio station in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA that broadcasts a Christian adult contemporary format. The station is a community outreach ministry of Cornerstone University. WCSG claims to be "the most listened-to Christian radio station in West Michigan", providing contemporary inspirational Christian music and programming to the local market and streaming “live” on the Internet.
WCSG is rebroadcast on three other stations throughout West Michigan:
- 90.9 WCFG - Springfield/Battle Creek
- 88.3 WCXK - Kalamazoo (Formerly WAYK)
- 89.9 WCXB - Benton Harbor (Formerly WAYO)
WCSG began broadcasting after five years of preparation on June 9, 1973, with an easy listening and fine arts format. In 1981, WCSG’s programming changed to a primarily Christian format and three years later, the station began broadcasting inspirational programming and music twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, before evolving into its present Christian AC-based format.
As WCSG and its affiliates broadcasts on frequencies allocated in the United States for non-commercial educational use, WCSG is forbidden from broadcasting traditional, pre-recorded commercials. Instead, WCSG hosts regularly recognize both corporate and individual sponsors, similar to the approach used by other non-commercial and public radio stations. A typical "recognition" involves the host reading a slogan and a brief description of the goods and services offered by a corporate sponsor, or reading a personalized message written by an individual sponsor. The contributions of these sponsors account for 30% - 40% of WCSG's funding.
Awards and honors
The station received a special recognition at the National Association of Religious Broadcasters convention in February 2001, when Focus on the Family selected WCSG from among 987 U.S. radio stations for its Station of the Year Award. In April 2001, the Gospel Music Association nominated WCSG for a Dove Award for Station of the Year. In 2007, R&R magazine recognized WCSG as 2007 Christian Station of the Year, Markets 26-100.
Sex crime case
John Balyo, host of WCSG's morning show, was arrested in June 2014 on the charge of sex crimes involving children and was subsequently fired by WCSG. He would be sentenced to 40 years in federal prison and 25 to 50 years in state prison, served concurrently.
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCSG
- Radio-Locator information on WCSG
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCSG
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WNHG
- Radio-Locator information on WNHG
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WNHG
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCFG
- Radio-Locator information on WCFG
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCFG
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCXK
- Radio-Locator information on WCXK
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCXK
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WCXB
- Radio-Locator information on WCXB
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WCXB
- Michiguide.com - WCSG history
- Michiguide.com - WAYG History
- Michiguide.com - WAYK History
- Michiguide.com - WAYO History
|This article about a radio station in Michigan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Christian radio station is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|