|WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown|
A poster or logo for WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown.
|Promotion||World Extreme Cagefighting|
|Date||November 5, 2008|
|Venue||Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino|
WEC 36: Faber vs. Brown was a mixed martial arts event held by World Extreme Cagefighting that took place on November 5, 2008 at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida. The event aired live on the Versus Network.
WEC Middleweight Champion Paulo Filho fought Chael Sonnen in the co-main event of the evening in a rematch of their WEC 31 title fight, where Filho won via a controversial submission. The rematch was also supposed to be a title bout, but became a non-title fight after Filho failed to make weight. After losing the fight (but not the title) to Sonnen, Filho pledged to mail the belt to Sonnen, but the division was absorbed into the UFC on December 3, before future plans for the title could be determined, making this the last middleweight fight in WEC history.
Danillo Villefort was supposed to make his WEC debut against Jake Rosholt at this event, but was pulled from the bout after his visa expired. He was replaced by fellow WEC newcomer Nissen Osterneck.
This event was originally scheduled for September 10, 2008 but was postponed due to the threat of Hurricane Ike. 
|Featherweight||Mike Brown||def.||Urijah Faber (c)||TKO (punches)||1||2:23||[a]|
|Catchweight (189 lb)||Chael Sonnen||def||Paulo Filho||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)||3||5:00||[b]|
|Featherweight||Leonard Garcia||def||Jens Pulver||TKO (punches)||1||1:12|
|Middleweight||Jake Rosholt||def||Nissen Osterneck||TKO (punches)||2||3:48|
|Lightweight||Donald Cerrone||def||Rob McCullough||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 29-28, 29-27)||3||5:00|
|Middleweight||Aaron Simpson||def||David Avellan||KO (punch)||1||0:18|
|Featherweight||José Aldo||def||Jonathan Brookins||TKO (punches)||3||0:45|
|Light Heavyweight||Carmelo Marrero||def||Steve Steinbeiss||Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Danny Castillo||vs.||Rafael Dias||TKO (punches)||2||2:54|
|Catchweight (137 lb)||Rani Yahya||def||Yoshiro Maeda||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||3:30|
Fighters were awarded $7,500 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Donald Cerrone vs. Rob McCullough
- Knockout of the Night: Mike Brown and Leonard Garcia
- Submission of the Night: Rani Yahya
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the Florida State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the WEC.
- Mike Brown: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Urijah Faber: $24,000
- Chael Sonnen: $48,250 ($19,000 win bonus) def. Paulo Filho: $30,750 ^
- Leonard Garcia: $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Jens Pulver: $33,000
- Jake Rosholt: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus) def. Nissen Osterneck: $4,000
- Donald Cerrone: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus) def. Rob McCullough: $18,000
- Aaron Simpson: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus) def. David Avellan: $3,000
- Jose Aldo: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Jonathan Brookins: $3,000
- Carmelo Marrero: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Steve Steinbeiss: $6,000
- Danny Castillo: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus) def. Rafael Dias: $3,000
- Rani Yayha: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Yoshiro Maeda: $6,000
^ Filho was forced to surrender 25 percent of his base pay to Sonnen after failing to make weight for the fight.
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- List of World Extreme Cagefighting champions
- List of WEC events
- 2008 in WEC
- "WEC 36 "Faber vs. Brown" a success at the gate". mmaweekly.com. November 6, 2008.
- Filho to Give Up WEC Belt. Fighters.com. Retrieved on 2011-08-24.
- Visa issues prevent Danillo Villefort vs Jake Rosholt WEC fight and other Hurricane Ike fallout . MMAMania.com. Retrieved on 2011-08-24.
- "WEC 36 FIGHTER SALARIES AND AWARD BONUSES". mmaweekly.com. 2008-11-07.
- "WEC 36 fighter salaries and award bonuses". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved November 7, 2008.