|WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber|
The poster for WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber.
|Promotion||World Extreme Cagefighting|
|Date||April 24, 2010|
UFC Presents: Aldo vs. Faber, also referred to as WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber was a mixed martial arts event held by World Extreme Cagefighting that took place on April 24, 2010 at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, California. This was WEC's first and only event on pay-per-view before their merger with the Ultimate Fighting Championship later that year.
The event was first announced by WEC President Reed Harris on the Dave and Mahoney Show.
Jamie Varner was expected to face Kamal Shalorus at this event, but that bout was called off due to an injury sustained by Shalorus. The match was later rescheduled for WEC 49 on June 20, where both men fought to a split draw.
Antonio Banuelos was scheduled to face Damacio Page at the event, but Page was forced off the card with an injury. Banuelos ending up facing Scott Jorgensen, in a rematch of their bout from WEC 41 which Banuelos won via split decision.
Two of the night's preliminary fights aired on Spike TV, marking the only time that Spike would air live WEC fights before their dissolution.
The advertising & live broadcasts for WEC 48 omitted virtually all references to the WEC brand, with the only exceptions being early versions of the poster, one mention during the broadcast by Joe Rogan, and the WEC logo on the championship belts themselves. During the broadcasts, the announcers referred only to "the organization" while the WEC logo was removed from the cage and the fighters' gloves.
|Featherweight||José Aldo (c)||def.||Urijah Faber||Decision (unanimous) (50-45, 49-46, 49-45)||5||5:00||[a]|
|Lightweight||Benson Henderson (c)||def.||Donald Cerrone||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||1:57||[b]|
|Featherweight||Manvel Gamburyan||def.||Mike Brown||KO (punches)||1||2:22|
|Lightweight||Shane Roller||def.||Anthony Njokuani||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:21|
|Bantamweight||Scott Jorgensen||def.||Antonio Banuelos||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (Spike)|
|Featherweight||Leonard Garcia||def.||Chan Sung Jung||Decision (split) (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Lightweight||Anthony Pettis||def.||Alex Karalexis||Submission (triangle choke)||2||1:35|
|Bantamweight||Takeya Mizugaki||def.||Rani Yahya||Decision (unanimous) (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)||3||5:00|
|Featherweight||Chad Mendes||def.||Anthony Morrison||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||2:13||[c]|
|Bantamweight||Brad Pickett||def.||Demetrious Johnson||Decision (unanimous) (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)||3||5:00||[d]|
|Featherweight||Tyler Toner||def.||Brandon Visher||TKO (elbows)||1||2:36||[e]|
- For the Featherweight Championship.
- For the Lightweight Championship.
- This bout aired on the Spike broadcast following the Karalexis vs. Pettis fight. This bout also aired on the PPV broadcast following the Visher vs. Toner fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Brown vs. Gamburyan fight.
- This bout aired on the PPV broadcast following the Henderson vs. Cerrone fight.
Fighters were awarded $65,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung
- Knockout of the Night: Manvel Gamburyan
- Submission of the Night: Benson Henderson
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the WEC and also do not include the WEC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- José Aldo: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Urijah Faber: $28,000
- Benson Henderson: $26,000 ($13,000 win bonus) def. Donald Cerrone: $14,000
- Manvel Gamburyan: $36,000 ($18,000 win bonus) def. Mike Brown: $21,000
- Shane Roller: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Anthony Njokuani: $7,000
- Scott Jorgensen: $21,000 ($10,500 win bonus) def. Antonio Banuelos: $7,000
- Leonard Garcia: $28,000 ($14,000 win bonus) def. Chan Sung Jung: $5,000
- Anthony Pettis: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Alex Karalexis: $10,000
- Brad Pickett: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Demetrious Johnson: $3,000
- Chad Mendes: $8,500 ($4,000 win bonus) def. Anthony Morrison: $4,000
- Takeya Mizugaki: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus) def. Rani Yahya: $9,000
- Tyler Toner: $5,000 ($2,000 win bonus) def. Brandon Visher: $4,000
- World Extreme Cagefighting
- List of World Extreme Cagefighting champions
- List of WEC events
- 2010 in WEC
- "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber". mmajunkie.com. 2010-04-28. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "CSAC: "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" record gate of $954,635". mmajunkie.com. 2010-04-28. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "Pay-per-view". mmapayout.com.
- "WEC: Aldo vs. Faber". WEC.tv. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Urijah Faber vs. Jose Aldo Will Be First WEC Pay-Per-View". MMA Fanhouse. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- "Jamie Varner vs. Kamal Shalorus likely for WEC 48 PPV main card". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2010-02-22.
- "Kamal Shalorus Off WEC 48, Jamie Varner Likely to Return in June". mmarus.com. 2010-03-03.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-07-11.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2012-07-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Jorgensen replaces injured Page, gets Banuelos rematch on WEC 48 PPV main card". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-17.
- "Cub Swanson set to welcome the 'Korean Zombie' to WEC 48 on April 24". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- "Leonard Garcia Replaces Cub Swanson, Fights Jung at WEC 48 in April". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-03-27.
- ""Mack" and "Cheese" official for "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" prelims in April". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-24. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Mackens Semerzier off WEC 48 card due to injury, replacement search underway". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- "Chad Mendes replaces Mackens Semerzier, faces Anthony Morrison at WEC 48". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-13. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Joe Rogan says he and Mike Goldberg slated for "Aldo vs. Faber" broadcast". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2010-04-14.
- "Bruce Buffer to announce WEC 48: 'Aldo vs Faber'". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- "What We Learned from WEC 48". sportsillustrated.cnn.com. 2010-04-25. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "White reveals that Versus, Spike TV agreements reason for brandless fight card". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- "WEC 48 Fighter Bonuses: $65,000". MMA Weekly. 2010-04-24. Archived from the original on 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "WEC 48 fighter salaries: Jose Aldo leads $336,500 payroll with $40,000 payday". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2010-04-28.