|Broadcast area||Cape Cod|
|Branding||SportsRadio 96.3 WEEI Cape Cod|
|First air date||June 15, 1981 (as WGTF)|
|HAAT||90.5 meters (297 ft)|
|Callsign meaning||similar to WEEI|
|Former frequencies||93.5 MHz (1981–1982)|
WEEI Sports Radio Network|
NBC Sports Radio
iHeartMedia, Inc. |
(AMFM Radio Licenses, L.L.C.)
|Sister stations||WCIB, WCOD-FM, WXTK|
|Website||WEII site within WEEI-FM website|
The station started life in 1981 under the call letters WGTF, operating on 93.5 FM. It moved to 96.3 in 1982 (the 93.5 frequency is now occupied by WFRQ) and changed its call letters to WXJY in 1984 and WNTX in 1988. The station's format as WNTX was "Oldies 96", competing with the larger "Oldies 103" in Boston. The Makkay family, headed by Al Makkay, purchased the frequency in late 1992, and in January 1993, it flipped to a Top 40 (CHR) format, rebranded as WRZE "96.3 The Rose". In 2003, Makkay Broadcasting sold WRZE, along with its sister stations WPXC and WCIB, to Qantum Communications for $32 million. In 2008, the station, which was originally licensed to Nantucket, was re-licensed to Dennis.
On May 15, 2014, Qantum Communications announced that it would sell its 29 stations, including WEII, to Clear Channel Communications (now known as iHeartMedia) for WALK AM-FM in Patchogue, New York as part of the sale of the WALK stations to Connoisseur Media. The transaction was consummated on September 9, 2014.
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook 1999 (PDF). 1999. p. D-211. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "For the Record" (PDF). Broadcasting. June 14, 1982. p. 70. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "For the Record" (PDF). Broadcasting. June 25, 1984. p. 78. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "Call Sign History". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Hale, Bill (August 2008). "FM News" (PDF). VHF-UHF Digest. p. 12. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- Shemkus, Sarah (February 19, 2009). "Sports radio boosted on Cape". Cape Cod Times. Retrieved February 19, 2009.
- Venta, Lance (May 15, 2014). "Qantum Sells To Clear Channel; Connoisseur Expands In Long Island". RadioInsight. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WEII
- Radio-Locator information on WEII
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WEII
|This article about a radio station in Massachusetts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|