|City||Blue Hill, Maine|
|Broadcast area||Bangor, Maine|
|First air date||May 1, 1988|
|Callsign meaning||WE aRe yoU.|
|Affiliations||Public Radio International|
|Owner||Salt Pond Community Broadcasting Company|
WERU-FM 89.9 is a noncommercial, community radio station licensed to the town of Blue Hill, Maine, maintaining studios in Orland and broadcasting at 89.9 FM from Blue Hill Mountain. The station, which has been on the air since May 1, 1988, has an effective radiated power of 11,500 watts. In July 2004, the station began streaming online, and in April 2006, started providing podcasts of its spoken word programming.
Station background and operations
From its inception, WERU-FM has been a grassroots, nonprofit organization, volunteer-powered and listener-supported community radio service. Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary was the station's first benefactor. In 1997, the station moved to its current location on U.S. Route 1 in East Orland. Striving to be "a voice of many voices," WERU trains members of the community to be on-air programmers and behind-the-scenes producers. It provides access to the airwaves for individuals, musicians (local and beyond), nonprofit community organizations, and many others in the station's signal area. Music programming is very diverse and includes folk, Americana, blues, rock, jazz and reggae.
WERU is a member of the National Federation of Community Broadcasters, World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, Maine Association of Broadcasters, and Maine Association of Nonprofits. The station is also a founding member of the Grassroots Radio Coalition.
- "Online Membership Directory". National Federation of Community Broadcasters official website. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "AMARC Home Page". World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters official website. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "Member Stations". Grassroots Radio Coalition official website. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- WERU official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WERU
- Radio-Locator information on WERU
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WERU
- Audio Archives of Spoken Word Programming
- Podcast Feed
|This article about a radio station in Maine is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|