|Franchise(s):||Open Access operator|
|Main region(s):||Salzburg, Upper Austria, Lower Austria, Vienna|
|Fleet size:||7 Stadler KISS|
|Stations called at:||8|
|Route km operated:||317|
|Parent company:||RAIL Holding AG|
WESTbahn Management GmbH (a subsidiary of RAIL Holding AG) is an open access railway company operating express train services on Austria's Western Railway (also known as Westbahn) since 11 December 2011. The French railway company SNCF has a 26 percent stake in WESTbahn.
An associated company that cooperates with WESTbahn is WESTbus, operating bus routes throughout Austria and into neighbouring countries.
WESTbahn operates one service between Vienna and Salzburg in competition to the government-owned ÖBB. The trains run in one-hour intervals. This service calls at Wien Westbahnhof, Wien-Hütteldorf, St. Pölten Hbf, Amstetten, Linz Hbf, Wels Hbf, Attnang-Puchheim and Salzburg Hbf. Since it started operating until September 2013, the service has continued to Salzburg Taxham Europark and Freilassing due to the rebuilding of Salzburg Hbf.
The fleet consist of 7 Stadler KISS bilevel trains, each with six coaches, a total length of 150 metres, a top-speed of 200 km/h, acceleration of 0.85 m/s² and a capacity of 501 leather seats. The passengers are able to use WLAN for free on the trains. Every coach is serviced by an attendant. 85 percent of WESTbahn's 200 employees are on-board staff.
Each train also has a dining car with 8 seats and vending machines for cold and warm beverages. Snacks are available for purchase as well. One of the coaches is reserved for premium passengers and is called WESTbahn Plus.
RAIL Holding AG
CEO: Erich Forster
On 5 June 2012, the CEO Stefan Wehinger, a former ÖBB director, resigned on diverging views about the company's strategy. He was replaced by Erich Forster, who was promoted from the position of sale manager.
Ownership (as of June, the 5th, 2012):
- Haselsteiner Family-Private Foundation: 26%
- Stefan Wehinger: 26%
- SNCF (France): 26%
- Augusta Holding (Switzerland): 22% (Augusta is held by Haselsteiner, Wehinger and company Oldro AG)
- About us at WESTbahn website
- "Westbahn nicht mehr bis Freilassing". Bahn-Report (in German). Interessengemeinschaft Schienenverkehr e.V., Rohr (5/2013): 32. ISSN 0178-4528.
- KISS electrical double-deck railcar – for Westbahn Management GmbH, Austria data sheet (PDF) from Stadler Altenrhein AG
- "ÖBB-Konkurrent "Westbahn" startet mit kostenlosem Wlan" (in German). Der Standard. 21 June 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to WESTbahn GmbH.|