|City||Newport News, Virginia|
|Broadcast area||Hampton Roads|
|Frequency||1310 AM kHz|
|First air date||October, 1928|
|Power||20,000 watts daytime
5,000 watts nighttime
|Callsign meaning||World's Greatest Harbor|
|Former callsigns||WGH (1928-1984)
(MHR License, LLC)
|Sister stations||WGH-FM, WVBW, WVHT, WVSP|
WGH (1310 kHz) is a commercial AM radio station licensed to Newport News, Virginia, and serving Hampton Roads. WGH is owned and operated by Max Media. It airs a black gospel radio format under the branding "Star 1310."
WGH operates at 20,000 watts by day and 5000 watts at night. But to protect other stations on 1310 AM, it uses a directional antenna, sending much of the signal to the east. Studios and offices are on Greenwich Road in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The transmitter is off Mary Ann Drive in Newport News.
WGH first signed on the air in October 1928. Because it dates back to the early days of radio, WGH is the only station in Virginia to retain its three-letter call sign, although there were periods in its history when it used the call letters WNSY and WCMS. The call letters for WGH and its sister station 97.3 WGH-FM stand for World's Greatest Harbor, a slogan for the Hampton Roads or Tidewater area of Virginia, where there is a large shipbuilding industry and both commercial and military ports. For much of the 1960s and 70s, WGH was a popular top 40 station.
- Broadcasting Yearbook 2010 (PDF). ProQuest, LLC/Reed Publishing (Nederland), B.V. 2010. p. D-567. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "Arbitron Station Information Profiles". Nielsen Audio/Nielsen Holdings. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "Call Letter Origins: Key and Listing". Bob Nelson. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "Call Sign History". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "WGH Facility Record". Federal Communications Commission, audio division. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- Star 1310 Online
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WGH
- Radio-Locator Information on WGH
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WGH
|This article about a radio station in Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|